What's Wrong with AFLAC ?

Besides cold calling on businesses directly, AFLAC agents cold call on brokers like myself. Trying to get me to write letters of introduction to my employer clients. :no: Or, better yet, try to get me to introduce them directly to my employer clients.:no:

All these post are basically saying that AFLAC is trying its hardest to get business. For new agents I think its a great place to start. Have a little bit of accountability and some training. Not bad for trying to figure it out.
I know there are better priced products but a new agent has a better chance of failing if they go out on there own for the first time.

All these post are basically saying that AFLAC is trying its hardest to get business. For new agents I think its a great place to start. Have a little bit of accountability and some training. Not bad for trying to figure it out.
I know there are better priced products but a new agent has a better chance of failing if they go out on there own for the first time.

Have you EVER done the AFLAC thing? Most of the time the training you'd get is absolute garbage and the only thing they're looking for is someone to go and bird-dog for them. I'm absolutely certain their are exceptions to that rule, but I haven't met them. The two biggest problems new agents have are not getting good training and not having enough prospects that are interested in discussing insurance with them on a favorable basis. AFLAC solves neither of those problems and creates the illusion that they are which leaves the agent worse off than when they started.

Have you EVER done the AFLAC thing? Most of the time the training you'd get is absolute garbage and the only thing they're looking for is someone to go and bird-dog for them. I'm absolutely certain their are exceptions to that rule, but I haven't met them. The two biggest problems new agents have are not getting good training and not having enough prospects that are interested in discussing insurance with them on a favorable basis. AFLAC solves neither of those problems and creates the illusion that they are which leaves the agent worse off than when they started.

Have a couple of friends there and they get good training and systems to use. You have to develope business. So other places give you orphan leads, thats better? Or any leads you get you pay for them some how....Comish, money , over_ride or whatever.
All I am saying they are giving new agents support and training that they don't get on there own.

Thought I'd throw this out there: we are a full service employee benefits brokerage with me being our individual guy.

We developed a relationship with a successful Aflac agent and he now works in house ad has 2 additional Aflac reps to help handle our clients. It has been an absolute home run as we provide him with relationships to our groups and he provides a foot in the door to the many groups he has as well. Commissions are split accordingly.

I agree that the market seems to be flooded with Aflac agents from time to time, but just as in our business, success will depend on your motivation and drive. From my experience Aflac is MUCH better than Colonial and has a solid product. I can't testify to the training, but I know our guys are nothing but professional and have had huge success.

And for what it's worth, I personally have 4 of their policies

Last edited:
i agree as a newbie who started with them , I wouldn't recommend anyone since they have such a failing score on doing what they said they would. can't trust them so why recommend them unless you have someone who is paying your bills for you and are willing to try them to maybe catch a lucky break.

Rmorris how can you say AFLAC is much better? I work for Colonial and just did an in depth analysis for a client trying to be as neutral as possible because I wanted to see for myself. If you look at what AFLAC pays more on it is typically in areas where a client is less likely to have a claim. For example look at the fracture benefits in the accident policy. AFLAC provides a higher benefit on things that rarely occur, but Colonial provides a higher benefit on the real meat and potatoes issues most people will face.

AFLAC has just about ruined the voluntary market with their billing processes and agent turnover. I hear 10-1 from business owners more bad things about AFLAC than Colonial.

But if you have a good set up good for you. But I don't think you are the norm.

Well I'm sure each side will have their arguments favoring their product. I'm sure each side has their arguments where Colonial pitches the common payout and Aflac pitches that they pay better for larger accidents (sort of the way we pitch major medical).

To each his own on personal preference. I'd actually love to see your spreadsheet if you're willing to post it for the forum. If you'd like, i'll even show it to our Aflac agents and see if they have anything to add for a true comparison.

And I 100% agree that we are not the norm. As far as I know, we are the only brokerage/Aflac setup in the nation as people just haven't thought about it. The execs at Aflac have even said they would love to get more agencies like ours because there's a reason our reps have been in the top 15 Aflac agents for 3 years straight. One year he was even #4.

If nothing else, consider hooking up with an agency and sharing business if Colonial will allow it. It's a GREAT referral source for you if you also have something to offer the agency.

Back