• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

What's Your Best Guess on Health Care Reform?

Single-Payer System Not on Table, Obama Says
On Thursday, Obama said that a single-payer system will not be a consideration in efforts for health reform because the main objective is to improve the current employer-based health care system, the AP/San Jose Mercury News reports.

Speaking at a town-hall meeting in New Mexico, he acknowledged that a single-payer plan would be the ideal approach if he had to re-develop the health care system, but he said that many people already are satisfied with the existing system that involves private insurers (AP/San Jose Mercury News, 5/15).

"It may not have everything I want in there or everything you want in there, but it will be a vast improvement over what we currently have," Obama told attendees (Washington Times, 5/15).

On Thursday, Obama said that a single-payer system will not be a consideration in efforts for health reform because the main objective is to improve the current employer-based health care system, the AP/San Jose Mercury News reports.

Speaking at a town-hall meeting in New Mexico, he acknowledged that a single-payer plan would be the ideal approach if he had to re-develop the health care system, but he said that many people already are satisfied with the existing system that involves private insurers (AP/San Jose Mercury News, 5/15).

"It may not have everything I want in there or everything you want in there, but it will be a vast improvement over what we currently have," Obama told attendees (Washington Times, 5/15).

I don't believe this for a second.

Many will perish. A few will adapt and thrive.

I guess if you want to run a mill of sorts...maybe voluntary and other Group benefits is the key.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Do you a need to see a proposal to believe it? If you were Obama, would you release a proposal for single-payer knowing that it will start a storm? He'll do it in pieces or in disguise. That's how politicians work. Just look at our Prop 1A in California to see the lies and double talk politicians push...

I don't need to see a proposal knowing the power these crooks want on our dime.

Last edited:
single payor causes way to much political back lash for Obama and camp. Who do you really think run's the government and this country?? BIG MONEY! They will make the decisions on health reform and not Obama.:yes:

Obama knows that single payer is a non-starter. His strategy is to have the Health Exchange so-called which includes various eligible plans (refer to my comments from earlier days saying we would end out with a series of what I called "creditable plans" before knowing what he would call them). Within the choices, he wants a government run program paid for with private premiums. His plan is to force this plan, either overtly or covertly through background subsidy, to be the more attractive of the choices and then proceed from there and grow it closer to a government plan each year. Over time you will have good guy plans and bad guy plans. The good guy plans will be the ones the government supports and somehow life and affordability will be better for them. Then Tunklehead will say "see we gave people choice and this is what they wanted and they turned out to be better run plans. Let's do more of it."

Exactly Winter!

Everything Obama has said he won't do he is doing!

"We don't want to run car companies" Look at what's happening!

"We don't want to run banks" Look at what he's doing!

"They'll be no lobbyists in my administration" Yeah, right!

I think there will always remain a private/ non-governmental option. However, I expect a lot of businesses to move over to a govt sponsored health plan/ system (assuming this will be established and will be less expensive). As the years go on and groups/ individuals look to save money by downgrading benefits they are moving to the tail end of some carrier's portfolios. For some groups the next step is to stop offering coverage or .... It's time to diversify your book.

Back