What's Your Best Guess on Health Care Reform?

How is making less with the same or higher fixed expenses (and work) a good thing?

Forget the health insurance business for a second and let's talk about the care we'll all get. With everyone getting paid less, will we have enough well-trained doctors and medical breakthroughs? Will hospitals be able to stay open? Will drug companies have the resources to create new life-saving drugs?

GI without a mandate is stupid - even Mass. wasn't that dumb. If you offer GI plans without a mandate you'll have an unsustainable pool of sick people.

Proof? Go to GI states like NY and price up health insurance.

My sources are telling me that we will still be in the picture.
We will be making less.
Small group 2-10 might have the choice of HealthCare Exchange. Where they can pick up a group through the Gov. We will still make commission but it will be regulated by the Gov. just like Medicare Sups.

The players in the healthcare markets are stating they will shave off 2 trillion in cost in 10 years.
To do that everyone is going to make less.
Hospitals, Doctors, Insurance companies, Durable Medical equipment, Life sciences, lawyers, universities, agents/brokers and others. We all will be making less. There is no other way around it.

I expect to see a lot less health agents in the market come next year.

We make this all more mysterious than it needs to be. Just look at the experience of agents in guaranteed issue states today and therein lies our future. Recently we had someone report from New Jersey and on the 2-5% commission they were getting. Someone said they were dying on the vine with that. Another said that he was working a business model where he was making do with those commissions.

In my state it killed the business completely for everyone except Anthem captives and some Mega shleppes, as I have reported ad nauseum. I only expect the reforms to be an improvement for my state although a downgrading for other states. I will probably jump in if there is a small commission involved just to be involved. Everytime we have this discussion some agents from other states who know better about guaranteed issue based on sheer speculation and no experience jump in and tell us how it will and will not be. Fine, just listen the agents in guaranteed issue states first to keep your knowledge up a little. In my view, the reports from New Jersey the other day gave you insight as to how it will be which is a step up from how it is in my states so I see it as a positive.

Guaranteed issue in my state. No mandate. Dumb and dumber.

Winter where are you located...You sound like your describing Health insurance in Maine....and you are so right about it being Anthem and some Mega people selling health insurance.

They announce tomorrow that all auto insurance is now GI - doesn't matter how many tickets, accident or DUI's you've had but it's not longer mandatory to have it if you drive.

Anyone here willing to take a stab on the percentage of people who currently drive who would drop auto insurance if it wasn't mandated?

Whatever percentage you come up with, double it and you'll still be far off.

Does anyone REALLY see themselves making over 5% commission in 2010 (maybe 2011 if delayed) and beyond? As Obama has pointed out many times - profit is EVIL.

Back