When to Walk Away from Prospect

First of all, let's get definitions straight.

What you are talking about is a "lead."

What a good sales presentation ultimately determines is whether or not a lead is a "suspect" or a "prospect."

A suspect is someone who identifies himself as having a marginal level of interest, but for some reason, is not qualified to buy.

A prospect is someone who has both interest and meets all of your criteria to buy today. I personally interchange prospect with pre-qualified prospect.

What each agent has to establish is this: what criteria is necessary for YOU to take their business?

For me, it is:

Need (can they coherently with conviction tell you WHY they need life insurance?)
Bank (debit/credit/Direct Express or Savings/Checking)
Budget (can the lead 100% fit what I'm selling into his budget?)
Urgency (ties into the "need" line of thinking)

If they meet all of my criteria above, then I have a qualified prospect and am comfortable selling.

If they don't? They are a suspect, and the meeting is baseless at this point, and over in my mind. And all it takes is just one factor from the above list to make them unqualified, even if they match the others up completely.

Good info. Writing deadbeats has disaster written all over it... I heard a superstar keeps 60 percent of his written apps on the books for the next year, is that a crazy high number or one that is realistic if one picks his business and doesn't allow Tyrone on the books.

Managing a checkbook or savings account seems to be a real problem with people in the final expense business. When do you guys walk away from a client even though they have interest? When they start talking direct bill, right? When they start talking about the heat bill not being paid or how they thought you were the landlord asking for money? Is that an alert to not write business?

I don't walk from interested people. If they are prospects I'm writing them.

ASs a rule I don't write direct monthly bill but that not an issue anymore. It's not even part of my presentation now to ask about having a bank account. Everyone has a bank account now or they have the DE card.

I do ask about that, do you get paid on the government debit card or direct deposit?

I don't care what the other bills are. I'm not there for that. I'm there to sell them life insurance. If they have a want them I'm in that business. If they don't have a want? That's when I walk.

Back