When Will You Stop Writing Individual Health?

AllenChicago

Guru
5000 Post Club
While running a health insurance quote for a family this morning, it occured to me that they PROBABLY WILL NOT keep the policy beyond 12/31/2013, because they'll have to start paying the infamous annual Penalty-Tax to the IRS and also forgo any potential government subsidies.

Are any of you who write individual health right now planning on simply not doing so after a specific date, due to it being a waste of time? (i.e. not enough months of commissions to make it worthwhile)

-Allen in Chicagoland

No. I am going to continue to write and will be there starting 10/1/13 to roll it all to CA HBEX (or outside of no subsidy).

PM if you would like to discuss details.

note my answer is CA specific and may not apply in other states

Last edited:
I'm considering writing more 12mo ST policies starting the 1st, but it depends on their situation (income, health, etc). Build the relationship, and be their exchange advisor when the time comes and if your state allows you to be part of the equation. Advances will probably be going away starting early next year. As earned is the only way to go with these under 1 yr holding period clients. Whatever you sell them today, will be changing 1/1/14.

What if someone with low income (but has assets), would qualify for medicaid, but doesn't want medicaid in 2014. Can they even choose to buy a heavily subsidized private plan which actually has doctors that accept it?

GET OUT if you haven't already. Don't come back and don't think about coming back.

I completely agree with chumps here, getting out of the individual health insurance game, might just be the best decision you could ever make. I got out of the game, and I'm happier than ever.

I make 12k mo, working two hours a day, just sold two sites for $30,000, wake up at 12 o'clock every day, get to have filet mignon and lobster every other day, and best of all I never have to explain how deductible works to anybody ever again.

I completely agree with chumps here, getting out of the individual health insurance game, might just be the best decision you could ever make. I got out of the game, and I'm happier than ever.

I make 12k mo, working two hours a day, just sold two sites for $30,000, wake up at 12 o'clock every day, get to have filet mignon and lobster every other day, and best of all I never have to explain how deductible works to anybody ever again.

I got out and u should too.... Why bother with it..... I sell crack in south Dallas

Back