Whole Life Versus Term

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Wrong.

NLG to 121 has two of the components WL has: Guaranteed Premium and Guaranteed Death Benefit. What it doesn't have is Guaranteed Cash Value.

Once again: Universal Life is NOT Whole Life.

So when you use the term whole life, you are referring to "Cash Value" insurance.

When I use the terminology "whole life" I am referring to life insurance that is in force for the "whole" of your life. I fail to see how cash value makes any difference.

In the case of traditional whole life insurance, with traditional cash values, cash SURRENDER values mean NOTHING to the death benefit - absolutely nothing.

Now if I am buying a life insurance product to deliver a death benefit to my estate when I die, how does cash value make any difference to that purpose?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No-lapse UL does have guaranteed cash value, even though the number may be $0 for much of the policy....it's still guaranteed. You could also set up the policy to have higher guaranteed cash values, but it would cost you more than the bare minimum. Just saying.

You have to be very careful about putting "extra" money in a no lapse guarantee policy, over and above the guarantees that you originally purchased. The fact is that the extra money can end up in a black hole, filling up a deficit in reserves in the policy. If that happens, then you would have been bettern to have paid the minimum premium, and only the minimum premium, and put the money into a separate investment.

Another alterative is that you could purchase a quicker paying no lapse UL, such as a 20 pay, and get a guarantee for that. There will be higher cash values, because you are pumping more premiums into the policy than the actualy cost of the annual protection, but those CSV's can also dwindle in later years. I would do that only because I would prefer to remove the chance I could accidentally miss a future premium, and lose my guarantee.

Frankly, I think the preoccupation with cash value is a distraction to the purpose of the product - which should be to deliver a death benefit to your estate WHEN you die.

Many years ago I put my money where my mouth is. In Canada in the 1980's there was a product introduced called term to 100 - whole life insurance with no cash value. The product had lower premiums because it was assumed that lapsed policies would leave any reserves for those lapsed policies in the pool for the those that hadn't lapsed - meaning the surviving policies were lapse subsidized.

In the early days the lapse assumptions for those products were based upon traditional whole life. The problem is that so many whole life policies are sold to consumer with the idea that they will have protection in the earlier years, and then later on, such as at retirement, you would quit and cash them out. Once again, that is a sales strategy I disagree with.

Anyway, the problem with the lapse assumptions being applied to Term to 100 was that why would people quit to get the cash - THERE WAS NO CASH!

The initial term to 100 policies were a bargain, TOO CHEAP. That when I bought mine, one for $150,000 from one company and $200,000 from another company. Sure enough, as time has gone by, prices for Term to 100 have gone up.

Then in the U.S. the no lapse thing began and I thought, deja-vu all over again. And sure enough, prices for no lapse UL products have been going up, and they are going to keep going up.

Today, if you are a 50 year old male non-smoker in Canada, the best premium for $1,000,000 of Term to 100 is: $9,000 per year

In the U.S., a 50 year old male non-smoker would find the best premiums for a no-lapse UL, with premiums guaranteed paid up at age 100 (which is how Canadian T100 works), would be: $7,864 per year

NOTE: Exchange rates have NOTHING to do with the difference.

It is my contention that no lapse UL policies, in addition to being a perfect whole life product for those doing estate planning, and who are wanting a whole life product to deliver money to their estate WHEN they die, are currently underpriced. Prices for these products will continue to go up and if you have clients that possibly need this coverage, they should RUN and not walk to buy them. Get them while they are hot.

Of course if you sell whole life insurance for cash values, none of this really applies. But if you have a serious estate planning case, you may want to pay attention.

And you can quote me to your clients on all of that.
Robert first I am a very happy Compulife user however the part about agents selling a smaller death benefit so it fits the clients budget to make more commission makes no sense. If the client can only afford say $100 a month for Life Insurance and Agent A sells 100% Term and Agent B does a blend of Term & WL the oop costs are the same and the commission is either the same first year or less for agent B.

One last thing how much of your belief that WL should not be used is due to the fact that you can't quote it in Compulife...yes I know you can quote GULs but WL and regular ULs can not be quoted in your product.

Do you truelly believe every client has the exact same needs? And that no one can benefit from some form of permanent LI? The vast majority of my clients buy term but I would never say everyone shout BTID just life I would never tell everyone to invest 100% in MF,CD, Annuities, or any other single asset class.

I hate these term/WL threads because I don't believe anyone comes away with a different focus...The people that believe term is the only thing that should be sold won't listen to others viewpoints and leave with the same impression. Those that have an open mind probably already believe that permanent LI can have a place in their clients LI portfolios.

Peter,

First, I want you to know I appreciate your business.

Second, please don't get too thinned skin on these debates. I keep hearing over and over again how agents present all these product alternatives to their clients, and let them pick. Well if that's the case, how do my comments in anyway impact negatively on what is going on in the sales that you folks are making?

While I no longer sell life insurance, I do take a fairly routine stream of calls from consumers who are looking for advice. All too frequently I continue to hear the same stories I heard when I was selling. Too many people are underinsured and over premiumed in the market.

As to tailoring my beliefs to my software, I think it is the other way around. In the beginning I thought agents would benefit from an objective, third party source of competitive rates in the market, for what are arguably the most competitively marketed types of life insurance in the market.

If you don't compete when you sell life insurance, you won't need Compulife - I mean that. But someday you will be in competition with someone, and you will realize the handicap you have. If you treat it like poker, where sometimes you just have to fold and walk away, you'll be able to keep your spirits up. For me, I would prefer to fly into a WWII dog fight with an F-16.

When I started Compulfe I believed that an emphasis on shopping and comparisons would tend to move the market toward more people being properly covered and paying competitive prices for their insurance.

As to more complex products, you can't easily compare prices for policies that do different things. How do you compare the premiums for a vanishing premium whole life with a non-par, whole life product which is guaranteed paid up at 65. Do you calculate the cash value into the cost assumption, and if you do, how do you account for the fact that the CSV is dust if you die? TOO COMPLEX, and not suited to the kinds of comparisons anyone can do with a computer. Oh I know there are comparisons out there, but none I would put my name on. But if you have one you like, don't let me slow you down.

But then I don't own any complex policies, and wouldn't own any complex policies.

Last edited:
Robert, are you licensed as an insurance agent?
No-lapse UL does have guaranteed cash value, even though the number may be $0 for much of the policy....it's still guaranteed. You could also set up the policy to have higher guaranteed cash values, but it would cost you more than the bare minimum. Just saying.

And the more CSV you want in a UL will make the premium look more like WL. There is no such thing as a free lunch. My point is that GUL is not WL. And vice-versa.

Last edited:
While I no longer sell life insurance, I do take a fairly routine stream of calls from consumers who are looking for advice. All too frequently I continue to hear the same stories I heard when I was selling. Too many people are underinsured and over premiumed in the market.

I think I see the problem. The only people that are going to call you are those that are confused and/or had a bad agent. A happy policyholder with a good agent isn't going to call you and brag about how great the agent is. Just like everything in life, the unhappy minority tends to be vastly more vocal than the happy majority. This has jaded your view of whole life and agents who sell it. That said, you are entitled to your opinion and you are entitled to express it as you do.

My only contention is, do not try to confuse the issue by calling products by the wrong name. Yes, both whole life and no lapse UL are forms of permanent insurance, but no lapse UL is not a form of whole life. Whole life is well understood to mean a cash value insurance policy guaranteed premiums and a guaranteed death benefit, with a guaranteed cash value table such that cash value equals death benefit at maturity. They are both great products when used properly, but they are far from being the same.

Robert, are you licensed as an insurance agent?

And the more CSV you want in a UL will make the premium look more like WL. There is no such thing as a free lunch. My point is that GUL is not WL. And vice-versa.

I agree, and it defeats the point of purchasing a guaranteed UL instead of whole life, but the cash values are still guaranteed and the owner has to sign a product illustration that shows them.

All these WL scam threads are making me worried.

I never see anyone talk about asset protection? was I totally wrong...

Do you have a concern with asset protection? In my state, cash surrender values are creditor protected. YMMV.
I agree, and it defeats the point of purchasing a guaranteed UL instead of whole life, but the cash values are still guaranteed and the owner has to sign a product illustration that shows them.

I know, but every WL policy will have some guaranteed CSV. That is what makes it different from a GUL policy.

Last edited:

Now, I am going to agree with Robert on this one. If the only reason you are selling WL is for the creditor protection, there is a good chance it is a bad idea. Creditor protection is just one aspect of a cash value policy, whether life insurance or annuity. Most people have other objectives to accomplish besides just shelter their money. Also, I suspect most courts would take a dim view of money recently moved into a life insurance policy just before bankruptcy, a judgement, etc. While I am not a lawyer, I believe most courts have the power to invade the policy and recover the money at that point, calling it a fraudulent transfer of assets.

Now, I am going to agree with Robert on this one. If the only reason you are selling WL is for the creditor protection, there is a good chance it is a bad idea. Creditor protection is just one aspect of a cash value policy, whether life insurance or annuity. Most people have other objectives to accomplish besides just shelter their money. Also, I suspect most courts would take a dim view of money recently moved into a life insurance policy just before bankruptcy, a judgement, etc. While I am not a lawyer, I believe most courts have the power to invade the policy and recover the money at that point, calling it a fraudulent transfer of assets.

If one transfers money into a WL policy right before a judgement, it can be reversed. But, when someone who is in good shape financially has a lot in bank accounts and are not facing bankruptcy or judgement, WL may be an attractive alternative.

Ultimately, I agree, however. If creditor protection is the only reason you're buying WL, you should think critically about why to buy WL.

Robert first I am a very happy Compulife user however the part about agents selling a smaller death benefit so it fits the clients budget to make more commission makes no sense. If the client can only afford say $100 a month for Life Insurance and Agent A sells 100% Term and Agent B does a blend of Term & WL the oop costs are the same and the commission is either the same first year or less for agent B.

Do you truely believe every client has the exact same needs? And that no one can benefit from some form of permanent LI?

Great post. I kept the best points. The nonsense that “the agent will make more on whole life" needed to be addressed.

The client is only going to spend so much money.

Granted, they may very well get less insurance with whole life and termites should focus on that; but there would be no more commissions by selling either product ,since the client could only spend x amount; so how could, as termites say, an agent make more money selling whole life?

Therefore, the argument on these grounds fails.

I will further add that if you sell a New York company the commission is only going to be 50%. For term, I usually sell JNL which is not a New York company and get 90%. Yet, when I sell MetLife, whole life, or other New York companies, I only get 50% , so again, what is an agents "motivation" to sell whole life?

May it be - the best interests of the client?

Last edited:
Back