Why don't we (Brokers/Agents) Have a Union?

Brandon Blood

It seems to me that we possess a level of expertise, if not more, compared to a tradesmen. Many of us have obtained advanced qualifications such as CPCUs, MBAs, or more which definitely positions us as licensed professionals. Considering this, it would be beneficial for us to unite and form a union. Through solidarity, we can collectively address the issue of insurance conglomerates making billions while neglecting our needs. Just a thought...

It seems to me that we possess a level of expertise, if not more, compared to a tradesmen. Many of us have obtained advanced qualifications such as CPCUs, MBAs, or more which definitely positions us as licensed professionals. Considering this, it would be beneficial for us to unite and form a union. Through solidarity, we can collectively address the issue of insurance conglomerates making billions while neglecting our needs. Just a thought...
hahahaha....
no way man.

Many of us have obtained advanced qualifications such as CPCUs, MBAs, or more which definitely positions us as licensed professionals.

No, a license positions you as a licensed professional.

Considering this, it would be beneficial for us to unite and form a union. Through solidarity, we can collectively address the issue of insurance conglomerates making billions while neglecting our needs.

I'm assuming you're on the P&C side of insurance rather than L&H (since you mentioned the CPCU designation), so I'm not qualified to speak on those areas.

For the L&H side, we do have our advocacy associations (NAIFA and Finseca), but they don't necessarily represent agents to insurance companies.

We had a union at John Hancock a couple of life times ago. I do not remember any value. However, we were captive so not sure what value they would bring.

Being an independent life agent I don't need anyone in my business. Or telling me I have to join this or I can't do that or can not work with X Y or Z.

Also, I have met some very unprofessional unskilled agents and a lot of very skilled professional craftsmen. Tradesmen that make good money, completely off work by 3PM. And I know agents chasing leads, driving hundreds of miles a week for less money.

Last edited:
Unions are to protect employees. Most agents do not want to be anyone’s employee.
Most problems that agents run into can be avoided with just a little research before they bite on shiny objects and sucker bait.

It seems that even if it were possible, it could only be Statewide, because of the DOI. I don't think that you could have a "Union" in the traditional sense, for that reason.

It would be nice if there was some way to prevent carriers from cutting commissions on active policy renewals, like the assholes that they are and will continue to be..

Back