Why is non-driving spouse's name needed for a quote?

Insurance companies want to any the identity of anybody in the household of driving age, licensed or not. You will find that a common requirement.

Claims statistics bear out the requirement. There have been claims where non-drivers drive and cause accidents and are then revealed to have bad driving records or other reasons that the insurance company should have known about.

Why are you objecting to this?

So do I. I toss most of it. But if there is a postage paid envelope I fill it with scrap and send it back.

You are likely to be asked that question with most insurance companies.

Last edited:
From a risk management standpoint with auto insurance:

Someone with a non-driving spouse would likely be driving more frequently than a person who's spouse does not depend on them for transportation.

Someone with a spouse who does drive, but is a high risk driver, would be a higher risk because the spouse presumably occasionally have access to the car being insured. Or they could have bad car habits that cause distractions... which would cause increased risk because of that as a passenger. I would not doubt for a second that statistics show a high risk driver as passenger increases risk to the driver/vehicle.

When you are a unit, what the other half does affects you as well, especially from a risk management standpoint. And there are lots of instances in the insurance industry when spousal info is required in some form or fashion, despite the spouse not being the one covered.

Last edited:
I responded to a mailer from Costco and they wanted my wife's info to run a quote. Of course I told them "Nunya" and didn't get the quote. Any legitimate reason this would be needed beyond data mining?
Frankly I dont understand the question. It seems like you are asking the question why do they need my non driving spouse's information for an auto insurance quote?

Insurance companies are going to want to know about all of the family member's who are residents of the premise. If they drive and if they do not drive. Totally legit information needed to consider the risk. Yes they can probably run the quote without the information, but you know what they say = Garage In, Garbage Out.

When clients refuse to share all of the information with me, I just don't run the quotes.

a non driving spouse is still covered by the auto policy under the PIP medical portion of the policy if they are injured in a car accident. They could also file for underinsured or uninsured benefits if the other party in a judgement didnt have any insurance or too low of Bodily injury to satisfy a court judgement. The non-driving spouse should many times be a named insured on the policy also

Lastly, they also want to know all residents of the household to confirm driving records.

PS--arent these questions to ask the cashier at Costco for their professional advice

There's possibly an added reason. The insurance index (soft credit score). Today, a lot of insurers' quotes are often looking into the each person's insurance index. It's not that unusual that one spouse may have a better rating than the other because of his/her insurance index...and as an agent, I will offer the better rate to the household which can sometimes make the difference in making a sale or not.

Back