Why is non-driving spouse's name needed for a quote?

Here is another possibility: Many carriers offer a discount for being married.(Or, if not a specific discount, at least a better ratinfg tier.) And any time I'm quoting a client as married, I am required to list the spouse. But that doens't mean you must insure her. If she is not driving, but still has her license, you could exclude her on the policy. Or, if she has surrendered her license, there are options for that as well.

Here is another possibility: Many carriers offer a discount for being married.(Or, if not a specific discount, at least a better ratinfg tier.) And any time I'm quoting a client as married, I am required to list the spouse. But that doens't mean you must insure her. If she is not driving, but still has her license, you could exclude her on the policy. Or, if she has surrendered her license, there are options for that as well.
Not all states allow exclusions and many carriers do not allow as well

They might order an MVR on her, and if it shows she has a DL there may be some additional underwriting activity on the submission

Not all states allow exclusions and many carriers do not allow as well
That's a fair statement. I can only speak for Florida, but here each driver typically has options for Rated, Excluded, Learners Permit or Not Licensed. Most FL carriers do allow excluded drivers, with a few exceptions. For example, a non-cancellable FR44, say from a DUI, would not allow excluded drivers on the policy. I should also note that some carriers actually surcharge for excluding licensed household members.

Back