Will Low Income Actually Sign Up?

The derelict crowd will be reigned in over time, when that $3000 tax return turns into a $1500 return that will get some people's attention. They will slowly ratchet up the pressure until they hit their target number.

I use to do group enrollments and you would be amazed at how many people turned down the health insurance when their portion of the premium was only $40 a month. Surly someone informed the politicos of this phenomenon.

Correct me if I'm wrong: My understanding is this subsidy which is a tax credit will actually be taken back out of the next year's tax return or a portion of it?

Also I've been told two different things on this next one:

Married couple filing as individuals and not jointly they only use the person's income that has qualified for subsidy, but now at a meeting yesterday was told in 2014 a married couple can no longer file seperately, only joint. Does anyone know if this is true?

Just when I'm putting this all together and think I may know something someone throws a wrench into this.

Last edited:
Low income and even middle income are just getting by in today's economy. Shelter, food, gas, utilities, education, etc come first and there is rarely any money left over. For someone in this situation, currently uninsured paying $0/mo now, I just don't see them committing to even a subsidized plan for $50-100/mo. (especially, the young and healthy)

Who agrees?

Will New Health Insurance Be Too Expensive for America's Lowest-Paid? - WSJ.com

They will not sign up unless it is free. It is their mentality.

Free+a penalty may be enough incentive for most.

Many low income families don't even file tax returns unless they get Earned Income Tax Credit. And they won't care bout the $95 penalty, because it will just be a tiny reduction on the check they receive from the IRS.

Totally true, I'm sure many will do weird/illegal/illogical things for the sake of convenience or belief. I have a gut instinct that most people will comply just to not have to deal with potential repercussions. Same reason we don't blow all-way stop signs or speed in rural areas at 4am, that 1% chance of an inconvenience is enough to make you reconsider.

The thing I look at is what has really changed to make a difference? Is there anything that will really make a person who does things the way they are now like use the emergency room as primary care, do anything different?

As it often happens the people making policy apply their own behavior/belief/status to what ever they are trying to solve and that is why usually things like this fail at the start.

The people who created this don't live day to day making 15 to 20k a year, who are living for the now because they have no future really to speak of beyond what the government provides them. Even if free, why use it or trust it? What happens if the government decides they don't need an ipad? or smokes or anything else that is for the now?

Having gone through hillarycare in WA state back in 1994, it took about 6 years to get it straightened out. Looking at that prospect again, another 5-6 years till this is striated out, isn't a warm fuzzy thought. I would much rather keep Hillary care going than move to this.

Back