Windfall elimination provision

keith365

Super Genius
Here's a question that a client asked me recently. Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

"I will be 70 next Fall and will claim Social Security benefits at that time. I am glad I deferred payments.

My question has to do with the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP). I believe I understand, but the information I have been reading isn’t completely clear. Every employer I worked for my entire life withheld Medicare taxes. Simply, I paid into Medicare my entire life and I have the required earned credits to receive a benefit. I have been receiving a pension from three companies for the past four years and Medicare taxes are not withheld from the pensions. This is the basis for some confusion.

I understand my Social Security benefit will not be reduced due to WEP because I paid into Medicare my entire life. However, because my pensions do not take out for Medicare taxes, I am not certain. Can you help clarify this for me?

Of course, I file a federal return every year and pay tax or receive a refund. In Florida, I don’t file a state return."

WEP comes into the picture when the employee worked for a company (often a school system) that did not withhold FICA on earned wages. WEP impacts how your SSA benefit is calculated.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

I have been receiving a pension from three companies for the past four years and Medicare taxes are not withheld from the pensions.

I don't recall ever seeing Medicare taxes withheld from pensions . . .

Back