Wordfence

I just wanted to chime in here with a potential alternative to WordFence. Because on several occasions I have had trouble with WordFence crashing sites. I've started using WP-Cerber. It has a ton of great features including a malware scanner, anti-spam, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone use Wordfence to protect their site(s)?

Bob, I use wordfence and am a big fan of it. Its crazy how many attacks it will stop.

Recently, I added the "WP Hardening" plug-in to my site. Im just using the free version for now, however, I am probably going to purchase the full version.

The number of hack attacks on my site dropped DRAMATICALLY after "hardening" the site. Basically, it secures the site by making sure no vital info is exposed making it easier to hack. By default, your wp login name is exposed deep within the public facing html for a hacker/bot to find, and then all they have to worry about is the pw. (creating a public screen name does nothing to fix this issue, thats only for normal reading on the site)

There are lots of other vulnerable areas on a WP site other than that. Hardening cleans all that up. Thats about as technical as I can get on the subject... lol. All I know is that attacks dropped a good bit after going through the hardening process. Seems like its a lot harder for them to even attempt at this point.

Back