WordPress: Not Just for Blogs

Thanks for the info. Do you guys consider the built-in site builders (HostGator for example) to come close to WordPress for safety, simplicity, etc?

If I use HostGator / WordPress, do they have a built-in scanner or similar protection or am I on my own?

They're fairly proactive about it. If you have a problem they can scam and remove it for you. Usually the problems come when folks have an old version and do not update it. Hackers find exploits and scan for site that are vulnerable.

Thanks for the info. Do you guys consider the built-in site builders (HostGator for example) to come close to WordPress for safety, simplicity, etc?

If I use HostGator / WordPress, do they have a built-in scanner or similar protection or am I on my own?

If you're referencing Hostgator's C-Panel installer for Wordpress, yes, you can ensure a safe installation. It's what you install after that where you have to remain careful as to where you get your Wordpress code.

Also, the safety features you should adhere to with Wordpress are applicable to all installations.. such as changing the ADMIN login to something different and then deleting the ADMIN or ADMINISTRATOR login name.

Every day my sites are hacked, or attempted to be hacked from IP addresses overseas..constantly. They're always using admin or a variation in order to try to get in. A great plugin to defeat this is LoginLock, but there are plenty of good ones. Login Lock can not only defeat the attempted hack but can then block anything coming from that particular IP address for a period of time that you choose.

It is easy, though to use proxy servers to appear to come from a different IP address, and nothing is foolproof, but changing the original WP settings for the purpose of security is definitely warranted.

Is it easy to get started with thesis? How would you compare it to Headway?

Headway is actually really great too. Headway, in my opinion, allows you even more control to edit layout, especially for beginners. However, Thesis has proven itself as an SEO powerhouse. But to be fair, Headway hasn't really had enough time or a chance to prove itself, and I think we will find out more here in the next few months as more forums develop about the subject. If you are really trying to drive traffic to your blog and create maximum exposure, go with Thesis. If you are more concerned with manipulating the layout of your site to exactly how you want it, go with Headway.

Out of all the big Theme publishers woothemes and elegant themes are probably the easiest to work with. you dont need to know css, hooks, or any of that stuff to get a decent looking blog up.

Out of all the big Theme publishers woothemes and elegant themes are probably the easiest to work with. you dont need to know css, hooks, or any of that stuff to get a decent looking blog up.

Elegant has to be on of the top developers. You get access to all of their themes for $39 and their "Epanel" is very simple. Likely one of the most simple themes to set up and manage.

Back