Worth a try with mental health issues?

Troy Vindel

Have a 33 year old client who got denied by Pac Life due to uncovering a suicide attempt almost 20 years ago from a dr's APS that once treated him. Otherwise healthy. He is on a AD policy now since then but has since been back to being treated for depression/anxiety for the past two years. He is looking for a 1mil 30yr term policy. His wife got preferred rate back then but I couldn't even find someone to table rate him at the time. Of course now there is a huge red flag on his MIB report. Any ideas since he has been treated and says he is stable?

He is being treated for depression/anxiety for the past 2 years. It will be an auto decline on most soft pulls on an MIB let alone a hard underwriting. See how many graded policies you can stack up

I heavily recommend looking into InsuranceToolkits.com because you can build out each clients medication/health portfolio and they are integrated with each carriers UW guidelines and actuary tables. You can get nitty gritty and ensure you are placing them with the best carrier and also avoids any chance of your policy being replaced by another agent!

The big issue for standard carriers is what is his current medication protocal and past medication protocal. They will want to assess the level of his mental issues. Now you have a decline for either mental problems or attempted suicide that will post on his MIB. Not good... You gonna need to find out more about his med history and contact the underwriters at some carriers. I like North American or Midland National for my fully underwritten cases. Depending on his RX history I believe you could get a standard to __?__ table rating with a reasonable carrier. Good Luck ! I'd consider, American General, ANICO, Midland National or North American if were me.

I agree with the sentiment that the OP does not have the full picture. Current, relevant medical information including Rx is needed before wasting time and possibly making things worse.

I suggest reading the MIB FAQ page as to what is, and isn't, included in their files.
MIB, Inc. - Straight Talk About MIB"s Underwriting Services

The consumer can also request a free copy of their MIB report.

This information should clear up a few more things.
https://www.mib.com/webcontent/mib_responds_annualmedicalreport.pdf

And MIB information only goes back 7 years . . . fewer than that in some jurisdictions.

Last edited:
I heavily recommend looking into InsuranceToolkits.com because you can build out each clients medication/health portfolio and they are integrated with each carriers UW guidelines and actuary tables. You can get nitty gritty and ensure you are placing them with the best carrier and also avoids any chance of your policy being replaced by another agent!

They are a great tool and I am happy I have them. However, their term offering is still growing.

The big issue for standard carriers is what is his current medication protocal and past medication protocal. They will want to assess the level of his mental issues. Now you have a decline for either mental problems or attempted suicide that will post on his MIB. Not good... You gonna need to find out more about his med history and contact the underwriters at some carriers. I like North American or Midland National for my fully underwritten cases. Depending on his RX history I believe you could get a standard to __?__ table rating with a reasonable carrier. Good Luck ! I'd consider, American General, ANICO, Midland National or North American if were me.
See you are in TN.. Where are you located?

Back