Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Annuities Forum

Reply to Breakdown of IMO Vs. Insurance Company Channel     
Old 08-28-2017, 06:53 AM   #21
Guru

State: pfg1 is an Insurance Agent from Virginia
pfg1 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Breakdown of IMO Vs. Insurance Company Channel Re: Breakdown of IMO Vs. Insurance Company Channel
Originally Posted by jboussea View Post
Got it .. RIA's from what I understand it could be someone like myself if I decide to get a 65.. but if I don't want the liability of being an RIA ..I can be an IAR operating under an RIA. I was just confused by when KT said .. "RIA, the fund" .. he must have been talking about RIA's managing their own fund.

Now as far as being able to sell insurance. I thought both RIA's and IAR's would be allowed to sell insurance and get paid commissions but that's what they call a "fee based" .. but the fee only RIA's/IAR's are the ones who get paid by AUM or flat fees.
The RIA is the advisory FIRM. Is just that if you want to go through all the compliance, costs, etc to set up an RIA firm you can do that - or if you don't own the firm, you would become an IAR of a firm.

As SC mentioned, there are a number of RIA's that do set up their own proprietary funds... though most don't from what I've seen.

IAR's can certainly sell insurance and they can earn commissions. They can also sell Fee Based planning as well. RIA firms sometimes also have a sister entity that does the insurance & annuities. Some also have a BD channel that does that business. Hope that helps.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Breakdown of IMO Vs. Insurance Company Channel

Old 09-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #22
DHK
Guru
DHK on Breakdown of IMO Vs. Insurance Company Channel

State: DHK is an Insurance Agent from California
DHK is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Breakdown of IMO Vs. Insurance Company Channel Re: Breakdown of IMO Vs. Insurance Company Channel
Just found this video with Michael Kitces that related to this thread. Just thought I'd share:

You Tube

------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Breakdown of IMO Vs. Insurance Company Channel
Reply to Breakdown of IMO Vs. Insurance Company Channel 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Annuities Forum