Auto Insurance for Renters

agent C

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
What are some good ways to sale auto insurance to apartment renters. Since most of them only use there cell phones cold calling is very difficult and direct mail is hit or miss. Anyone had any luck with this genre.

What are some good ways to sale auto insurance to apartment renters. Since most of them only use there cell phones cold calling is very difficult and direct mail is hit or miss. Anyone had any luck with this genre.

I know of an agent who had success as follows...
A lot of apartment complexes recognize that it's in their tenants' best interest to have a HO-4. They don't want to have to waste their time telling their clients that there's no coverage thru the insurance that the complex has when tenant's stereo is stolen, etc. etc. They may allow you to put a flyer in a "welcome to the building" package that is given to new tenants. They may also let you hold a seminar about insurance coverage for the residents in a common area- I've seen this work well in 55+ communities. I actually took part in one of these- the residents were very interested in hearing what we had to say.
At any rate, you start with the HO-4, then x-sell the auto.
Good luck!

I have recently started visiting office managers at apartment complexes to establish a relationship with them so that when new tenants move into the complex, they refer them my way. I've had fairly decent results. I visit frequently (about once a month or so) in order for them to get to know me and remember my name, etc.

I find it's a pretty easy sell for people to get auto and renters insurance together because of mulit-line discounts. People LOVE to save money! A lot of times the renters insurance AND the auto insurance are cheaper than just writing the auto insurance alone. The key is just to ask and offer a quote. Good luck! :)

Farmers has an interesting way of doing that. Most apartment complexes will have a "Resident Appreciation Day." The Farmers agent offered to sponsor the event, buying the hot dogs & soda/beer, in exchange for being able to set up a tent & talk to the residents. I never did one, but when 2-3 agents got together (depending on the complex size), they got a ton of lead cards & quite a few renter/auto cross sales.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I have recently started visiting office managers at apartment complexes to establish a relationship with them so that when new tenants move into the complex, they refer them my way. I've had fairly decent results. I visit frequently (about once a month or so) in order for them to get to know me and remember my name, etc.

I find it's a pretty easy sell for people to get auto and renters insurance together because of mulit-line discounts. People LOVE to save money! A lot of times the renters insurance AND the auto insurance are cheaper than just writing the auto insurance alone. The key is just to ask and offer a quote. Good luck! :)

That's a good idea. I've seen complexes let agents put marketing materials in their resident "Welcome" packets... or even doorhangers.

Last edited:
These are brilliant ideas about using renters insurance as a lead-in for the auto policy! Renters insurance policies are usually pretty cheap anyway, and complexes prefer to have their own occupants covered! In fact some landlords require it.

If you can get your foot in the door that way, and then mention your company has a multi-policy discount, you should do well!

These are brilliant ideas about using renters insurance as a lead-in for the auto policy! Renters insurance policies are usually pretty cheap anyway, and complexes prefer to have their own occupants covered! In fact some landlords require it.

If you can get your foot in the door that way, and then mention your company has a multi-policy discount, you should do well!

In the short time I spent at Farmers, this is how I got renters policies. Every auto policy I got I ran a quote with a renters policy basically to add the discount. 99% of the time the price was the same for both policies as it was for one. There were even a couple instances where the price came up a few bucks cheaper by adding the renters. Go figure.

Renters insurance is a good follow-up for when you are providing an auto quote. It's proven that you retain a customer longer if you have multiple lines, not a mono policy. You only get a 5% discount for renters- the premium is about $15 per month. Covers typically $100K in liability and $40K in personal property. If you have most of the info from the auto quote, yeah I say go ahead and quote the renters too. Most people don't have $40K of personal items- that's why they rent. It's a tough sell sometimes, but I like to remind people that if they have a BBQ and the friends are over, and somebody trips and falls and gets hurt, guess what? Your so called best friend is going to sue the pants off of you! It's sort of like the military with jet fighters, tanks, missles and machine guns. It's better to have them and not need them, than the other way around!!!!!!

Back