Can I Still File Collision Claim for Damage from Several Months Ago? (door/fender Damage in Snow)

Oktober

My car suffered damages on the door and fender during the snow storm
several months ago. (late January 2013) The car slid on ice/snow and
scraped against a tree in the driveway. The tree was fine. :)

At the time, it looked to me that the damage would be less than $1000. Since
my deductible was $1000, I figured there was no point filing a claim under the
collision coverage of my Geico auto insurance policy. Even the dealership
service manager agreed with me that it was probably a $1000 damage at best.
(thought I should I have realized that he was not the bodyshop manager)

I have been very busy during the last several months and never got around to
fixing it. Last week, I finally took it to a bodyshop and I was shocked to learn
that the repair would cost $2300. Apparently they have to repair the door
and fender, paint them as well as the adjoining door, pillar, trunk, bumper to
match.

I decided to get estimates from two more shop from different bodyshops. The
other two estimates were within $150 of the first estimate. ($2100 and $2450)
One bodyshop suggested that I should go through insurance.

The three places said they would need 4 to 6 days for the repairs.

Is it too late to file a collision damage claim with my insurance company now?
I have a spotless driving record, not even parking tickets.... Have been with
Geico for 10+ years and only had one deer collision claim 9 years ago.

If it makes any difference, my home is located in Charlotte, NC.

Any advice appreciated! :)

Last edited:
If the car was in motion at the time, you would have to consider the impact of an at-fault accident on your record. But in my experience in dealing with people who move from North Carolina, auto insurance rates are really cheap there.

I'm not in claims but from what I've researched, it seems that you have a decent amount of time to file the claim.

If the car was in motion at the time, you would have to consider the impact of an at-fault accident on your record. But in my experience in dealing with people who move from North Carolina, auto insurance rates are really cheap there.

I'm not in claims but from what I've researched, it seems that you have a decent amount of time to file the claim.

I guess the car was technically in motion? I got into the car and put it in D. There was a lot of snow on the ground at the time. The wheels started spinning but the car did not move an inch... then I felt the back of the car rotate left about a foot, impacting the tree. (technically, the car did not move forward or backward at all... :) ) In insurance terms, does this make me at fault? By comparison, my last claim 9 years ago, I was told that Geico would not consider me at fault, since it was a deer collision.

By the way, I just looked at my Geico policy document and it shows that I have accident forgiveness due to my family's 5-year clean record. If I file a claim now, I assume that will be used?

If I don't file claims and pay for the repairs myself, I'm out almost $2500... if I file a claim, I'm out $1000(deductible) and Geico pays $1500, right? I wonder if $1500 is worth leaving a claims record on my policy...

You will be at fault. The car had to move unless you are saying the tree jumped over and hit you.

Last edited:
Pasted the relevant NC code below. Bottom line, you will be quizzed about why it took you so long to file the claim, and since you have exceeded the 180 days, you will probably have to jump through a number of hoops, but you should be able to file. Just be honest and it will go smoothly.

I have seen several carriers move to paying ACV on any and all claims reported in excess of 180 days subsequent to the loss. Best to read your policy and see if you have a provision like that.

G.S. 58-3-225(f) provides that unless otherwise agreed to by the insurer and the claimant, insurers must allow a claim to be submitted up to one year after the required date of submission (i.e., 180 days after the date of service or discharge plus one year), if it was not reasonably possible for the claim to be submitted within 180 days, and if the claim was submitted as soon as possible thereafter. Force majeure is assumed to be the standard for a provider’s reasonable inability to file a claim within the established time frame, though contracts may include provisions establishing more generous standards. When the claimant is the insured, legal incapacity could extend the filing time beyond the one year extension. [Refer to G.S. 58-3-225(f)]

I dont know the exact numbers , but You will probably see your rates go up 10-20%. Do the math of the rate increase for next 3-5 years and compare that to the $1500.

I dont know the exact numbers , but You will probably see your rates go up 10-20%. Do the math of the rate increase for next 3-5 years and compare that to the $1500.

Doesn't the accident forgiveness thing mean that my rates won't go up with just just one claim?

----------

I have seen several carriers move to paying ACV on any and all claims reported in excess of 180 days subsequent to the loss. Best to read your policy and see if you have a provision like that.

Could you explain what that means? ACV = actual cash(cost?) value. On my policy document, it shows "acv minus $1000" under comprehensive coversage - collision. How does ACV apply for a collision repair?

THanks!

Last edited:
Doesn't the accident forgiveness thing mean that my rates won't go up with just just one claim?

Do you pay for that coverage? It is optional in IN for an additional premium.

FYI you would be paying for the claim if you were to switch to another carrier even if GEICO does not charge you for it.

This has gotten a bit offtrack....

File the claim. If your insurance has been in force since the date of the accident, then they will probably pay it. I can't speak for Geico, but without a lapse, it should be covered (personal opinion based on experience in CA, not a legally binding one). They will ask all sorts of questions about the delay in filing though.

It is an at fault accident. Hitting a deer is not. Don't ask, just the way it is.

Accident forgiveness means you should not have a surcharge based on this accident. Next one though is a different story.

Dan

Accident forgiveness means you should not have a surcharge based on this accident. Next one though is a different story.

Dan

Am I correct in assuming that accident forgiveness just means that they won't raise my premium based on just this one claim?

Are all "at-fault" claims treated the same? For example, comparing my driveway 0.1mph on snow mishap to speeding/crashing into a barn. :)

Based on what I'm reading on Geico's website, if I don't file any claims for the next 5 years, I will earn another accident forgiveness.

Thanks! I don't know anything when it comes to auto insurance, so please excuse me if my questions sound idiotic sometimes. :)

Back