Car Insurance Question

Timbo41

I was told recently that when you have car insurance, it covers the vehicle not the driver. So, in that line of thought...if someone who is not listed on your policy is driving your auto and has an accident, are you still covered? Lets say a neighbor or friend borrows my car? Suppose I don't have one of my kids listed on my policy and they are driving, how does that work?

I was told recently that when you have car insurance, it covers the vehicle not the driver. So, in that line of thought...if someone who is not listed on your policy is driving your auto and has an accident, are you still covered? Lets say a neighbor or friend borrows my car? Suppose I don't have one of my kids listed on my policy and they are driving, how does that work?

Varies, but most times if the person doesn't live with you and it is incidental only; it will be covered. So the friend and neighbor scenario is good.

Your kids, girlfriend, roommates, etc. if they live with you should be on the policy. Otherwise you stood a chance of an accident being denied. It will gonna be mainly on who your insurance company is. If they are any good, they will cover the claim and backdate the premium as far back as they can.

Also depending on your company, they might only insure the people that is listed as a driver on the policy. So no loaning out the car or even if the friend is covered under your policy, they might only get the state min limits in an accident. Basically ask your agent and they will be able to explain your policy to you.

It will gonna be mainly on who your insurance company is. If they are any good, they will cover the claim and backdate the premium as far back as they can.

you're absolutely right. and when they backdate the premium as far back as possible, there is a hidden message to the insured: "Go away! Find a new company! We don't want you anymore!". :D

Yes, several basic policies of car insurance cover vehicles, not drivers, but the main thing is that if someone drives a car then in that case car is also broken and that person inside the car also gets injuries what benefit do we get from this type of policy?

Yes, there are several policies that include multi-driver in that case only include those people who frequently use your car and drive so that they are insured under your insurance policies if we choose a multi-driver policy then I think premium cost increases.

Or, if you give some random person your car and at that time an accident happens then I don't think car insurance companies bear medical expenses they only help you to repair your car when you take a claim settlement so try to avoid these types of situation.

Your kids, girlfriend, roommates, etc. if they live with you should be on the policy.
The moral of the story here is to list all the residents of your home on your Auto Insurance policy.

if the person doesn't live with you and it is incidental only; it will be covered.
And only sparingly loan out your vehicle. When you loan out your car - you may be loaing out your Insurance.

Yes, several basic policies of car insurance cover vehicles, not drivers, but the main thing is that if someone drives a car then in that case car is also broken and that person inside the car also gets injuries what benefit do we get from this type of policy?

Yes, there are several policies that include multi-driver in that case only include those people who frequently use your car and drive so that they are insured under your insurance policies if we choose a multi-driver policy then I think premium cost increases.

Or, if you give some random person your car and at that time an accident happens then I don't think car insurance companies bear medical expenses they only help you to repair your car when you take a claim settlement so try to avoid these types of situation.

I think I had a stroke reading this

Rolf, please STOP digging up 8 year old threads to which you give shoddy advice.
Most policies allow for Permissive Use and the policy holder is protected by their policy for damages and liability

Back