Claim After Not at Fault Accident

singhisking

Last week, someone rear ended my toyota camry and I was not at fault. Police officer gave me report# without any other info and said he mentioned everything in the report and adviced me to get the report from department. I called my insurance and told them to deal with other party, since according to police it will take may be 7-10 business days for getting police report, so I am waiting to get my car fixed.
So my question is - Is it possible if I can get my car fixed from my insurance with $500 deductable and later they can get the money from other insurance and also reimburse my $500 dollar to get my car fixed early.
Since I was not on fault, so I don't wanna increase my insurance as well. Please any expert advice. I am new to forums...

Short answer: yes.
File with your insurance company, they will fix your car without delay.
They will then subrogate against the other insurance company (send the bill to the other company) and get reimbursed.

Once they get reimbursed, they will send you a check for the deductible reimbursement. Should not impact your rates, except in some states, you may lose a 'no claims' discount, which is usually very minimal and most states would not impact you at all.

Longer answer:
Your insurance company will work with the other insurance company to determine fault. In the case of a rear end collision, the only question really is if you were backing up at the time. Doesn't matter what the police report says, insurance companies do their own determination (it does help if the police report clearly states the other person is at fault, just not a slam dunk).

Upon determination of liability, the insurance companies settle among themselves.

If they get reimbursed 100%, then you get 100% of your deductible refunded. If they get reimbursed 75%, then you get 75% of your deductible refunded.

You can file through the other parties insurance. They will verify the accident with the other driver and if he admits he rear ended you, they will fix your car directly, without more than a couple of days delay to do the verification (this can take a while if the other driver avoids the conversation). This will allow you to not pay your deductible and will get you a rental car to drive while yours is being repaired.

Dan

Back