Complain Against Insurance/rental

grk

My car met with an accident which was not my fault. I claimed the insurance through the the other party's insurance company. When my car was under repair they provided me with a rental car. The rental firm gave me a mini car due to non-availability. Once my car got repaired, the rental firm say that the insurance company paid only for a standard rental car price and not for a mini-van and charged me the additional amount. I tried to contact the insurance company but they are not responding. How do I complain against the insurance company and rental firm.

You can file a complaint against your insurance company, but that is a waste of time. Your benefit was for a stated amount each day. What that bought is what that bought. Anything in excess of that is your problem.

Now, the rental company should have informed you if there was a difference between your benefit and the rental rate for the vehicle you received. I have received courtesy upgrades when the appropriate vehicle wasn't available. I've also been told that I would have to pay the difference too. I discussed it with the rental company on the spot to get it to where nothing was owed. I never left and tried to dispute it upon returning the vehicle or receiving a bill.

I suspect that you were informed of the amount due at the time of rental and simply ignored it. It is also possible that they didn't tell you either accidentally or intentionally. Anyway it goes, your only beef is with the rental company.

No they never informed that I would have to pay from my pocket. Infact, the rental company called me a day later and told me to speak with the insurance company. Please let me know the next authority level. I can pay only if I am at fault.

I missed where you said it was the other party's insurance. So you don't have a contract with a stated benefit with them.

What do the rental papers show from when you picked up the car?

The driver who hit my car was at fault and I had my car repaired/claimed through his insurance. I was given a rental car by the same insurance company when my car was being repaired. I was not given any agreement letter or anything of that sort. The rental company swiped my card and told me that nothing would be charged but now they say since it was a mini van, the insurance company needs to be contacted else i have to pay the difference

I would call the rental company and see if you can get them to waive the upgrade. They would the ones who had given you the minivan rather the smaller car allotted by the insurance company. I assume you were had been OK with a smaller car if it meant there was no additional charges.

I spoke to the insurance company today and they said it would be taken care.

I spoke to the insurance company today and they said it would be taken care.

Awesome! It was their insured that damaged your vehicle, and IF they have accepted full liability....it's not on you to determine how much you can spend on a rental.

There are only a couple of exceptions to this:

Your car was 100% driveable, but you took a rental immediately anyway...even though all they had was a very expensive minivan

OR

The upcharge was really the rental car company "additional insurance" that you never realized you signed for

Back