Finally Got Police Report

lorrieduke

Expert
Progessive has been telling me they are unable to contact the owner of a vehicle involved in an accident with me. They are trying to determine fault. They say they don't have the owners current phone number and have been unsuccessful in contacting him.
The owners mother was driving the car that t-boned me at an intersection.
Today I finally received the police report which has his insurance information on it. It says Progessive and the policy number. It also has a description of the vehicle and the license plate number along with his mothers (the driver) statement. She also admitted to being at fault. The police report also has the police officers conclusion where he states the accident was her fault.
Why does Progessive need to speak to the insured when all the information they need to determine fault is on the police report? They know it's a covered vehicle and they know she was at fault because she said so!

Progessive has been telling me they are unable to contact the owner of a vehicle involved in an accident with me. They are trying to determine fault. They say they don't have the owners current phone number and have been unsuccessful in contacting him.
The owners mother was driving the car that t-boned me at an intersection.
Today I finally received the police report which has his insurance information on it. It says Progessive and the policy number. It also has a description of the vehicle and the license plate number along with his mothers (the driver) statement. She also admitted to being at fault. The police report also has the police officers conclusion where he states the accident was her fault.
Why does Progessive need to speak to the insured when all the information they need to determine fault is on the police report? They know it's a covered vehicle and they know she was at fault because she said so!

Because they represent the insured.

Keep in mind, if you just got the police report, Progressive will get it soon. They haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Also, there are things beyond the scope of a police report that impact claims.

On the other hand, insurance companies have to either respond to you or the DOI within a certain time period (I think 30 days, but its been a while since I bothered with this detail). If they can't resolve the claim inside of a certain period of time, they have to file it with the DOI to let them know its taking longer than it is supposed to. Insurance companies don't like doing this, but they will if warranted.

My guess is, they will resolve it soon.

If in a hurry, file the claim through your carrier and have them subrogate back to Progressive. Its usually the fastest way to get your car fixed.

Dan

Would you want your insurance company paying out a claim against your policy without talking to you first? Based on what you've written I'm sure you'll get paid by Progressive eventually-they will need to speak to their insured and the driver first.

But, back to the OP's point, an insured can't make a claim go away by ignoring it. The insurance company has a responsibility to protect their insured. Sometimes that means paying a claim that they feel the insured is responsible for, even if they can't get hold of them, as long as they make the legal attempts to do so.

After 30 days or so, the insured tends to be dodging the issue (not always, but usually). The insurance company needs to move on with the info in hand.

Dan

First off, there has likely been a reservation of rights issued to the responsible party...this simply means their insurance is under no obligation to defend them or provide coverage-unless their insured party cooperates. If this happens, the carrier can deny a claim as they have no coverage (or obligation to provide coverage until they get cooperation from their customer).

Now, once the report is received...they may feel it is clear enough to determine fault without full cooperation...and just notify their customer unless you respond within 10-20 days...you will be found at fault. If that happens, they will then handle your claim. If it's potentially disputed, then this could be denied, pending the at fault parties cooperation.

Bottom line 2 things stand out to me. A. Why are you not being given definitive time frames from the at fault parties insurance...ie. I am awaiting the police report and will update you by this date. B. Where is your insurance company in this? Even if you don't have collision, were you injured? This is a potential MPC/PIP and or UM/UIM claim...if you have collision, they should be handling to avoid a wait on your end. Yes, I understand reluctance to file with your own company...but not at fault is just that. It shouldn't effect your rates/policy, and this is why you pay them.

First off, there has likely been a reservation of rights issued to the responsible party...this simply means their insurance is under no obligation to defend them or provide coverage-unless their insured party cooperates. If this happens, the carrier can deny a claim as they have no coverage (or obligation to provide coverage until they get cooperation from their customer).

Now, once the report is received...they may feel it is clear enough to determine fault without full cooperation...and just notify their customer unless you respond within 10-20 days...you will be found at fault. If that happens, they will then handle your claim. If it's potentially disputed, then this could be denied, pending the at fault parties cooperation.

Bottom line 2 things stand out to me. A. Why are you not being given definitive time frames from the at fault parties insurance...ie. I am awaiting the police report and will update you by this date. B. Where is your insurance company in this? Even if you don't have collision, were you injured? This is a potential MPC/PIP and or UM/UIM claim...if you have collision, they should be handling to avoid a wait on your end. Yes, I understand reluctance to file with your own company...but not at fault is just that. It shouldn't effect your rates/policy, and this is why you pay them.

I was in my girlfriends truck. She was driving. The other party hit us. I suffered two broken ribs. My girlfriend has uninsured motorist bodily injury but the limits are only $25,000 and my medical bills are $20,000 so far. Granted, I don't know the limits of the other persons policy although when I told Progessive (then at that time) my bills were $16,000 and I was worried their insured may only have the minimum $15,000 required by law, she said "that's not an issue". I also feel I'm owed pain and suffering because this has been painful. My life has been in the toilet because I can't sleep unless I'm sitting upright and that's not sleeping, that's dosing. I can't go anywhere because I can't get into my truck. I can't raise my arm above my shoulder, can twist, turn or even breathe sometimes.
I could turn this into my friends insurance but I wouldn't get squat for pain and suffering.
I was told I have two years to turn in a claim so if that's correct I'm trying to get more $ from the other person. Hope you followed that. :)

Hi Lorrie

Hopefully by now you are feeling better. Probably not totally recovered, but hopefully well on your way.

File the claim, let us know what they offer to you.

Dan

Hi Lorrie

Hopefully by now you are feeling better. Probably not totally recovered, but hopefully well on your way.

File the claim, let us know what they offer to you.

Dan

Because my medical bills need to be paid and Progressive is taking a long time to accept the claim, can I turn my medical bills into my girlfriends insurance company then later persue a pain and suffering claim with Progressive?

----------

I just spent $100 for an attorney to tell me to submit all my medical bills to my health insurance company (Blueshield) he said my bills are still part of my claim with Progressive as I will have to pay Blueshield back when/if they settle with me.
But he said it was to soon to settle and I should relax because Progressive will most likely drag this out for some time.
I'll keep you posted.

Back