Got into an Accident, My Fault

bluefire

If I hit someone's car and need to pay for his repair, for insurance, is it under property damage or collision/comprehensive deductible? - In Massachusetts.

my property damage has a $5000 minimum and collision deductible is $1000, I caused a $4500 damage. So from what I can tell right now is that I have to pay $4500 out of pocket.

under Prorperty Damage i get - "protects you when you caused an accident and damages another person's car and/or property. A minimum limit of $5000 is required. You can purchase as much as $100,000 per accident."

They sent me a small claims court order for the claim amount and I have to appear on court, so what's the deal? Do I just let my insurance know and they'll take care of it? What else do I need to do? I filled a claim with my insurance couple of months ago already.

Last edited:
Bluefire,
there is no deductible for liability. You are confusing it with the level of coverage that you can select from (5K up to 100K). when they say "$5000 minimum limit", they are referring to your state's state minimum property damage liability requirement (Massachusetts' state minimum for PD happens to be 5K). Don't let that confuse you. Your claim should pay the damages.

as far as comprehensive and collision coverage, that has nothing to do with the other guy's car. That part of it covers your car.

The only thing that concerns me is that you mentioned you reported the claim two months ago. They should have paid that already.

I would call them asap and find out what's going on with that!

Last edited:
Bluefire,
there is no deductible for liability. You are confusing it with the level of coverage that you can select from (5K up to 100K). when they say "$5000 minimum limit", they are referring to your state's state minimum property damage liability requirement (Massachusetts' state minimum for PD happens to be 5K). Don't let that confuse you. Your claim should pay the damages.

as far as comprehensive and collision coverage, that has nothing to do with the other guy's car. That part of it covers your car.

The only thing that concerns me is that you mentioned you reported the claim two months ago. They should have paid that already.

I would call them asap and find out what's going on with that!

Yea. That's what I thought, my insurance should've taken care of things, until I got the small claim court letter, I got a bit confused. But ya I'll call them on Monday.

Thanks

They may have been paid by their own insurance company. And are suing for their deductible. Send a copy to your insurance company certified mail, return receipt.

Call your insurance company and make sure the claim wasn't denied. Also, is the claim from the other insurance company or the other party?

You shouldn't be sued for the deductible, you end up getting sued for the full amount of damages. If its the private party, they may do this, but it isn't actually the correct thing to do and their insurance company will slap their hand, since it can keep the insurance company from pursuing a full claim.

Dan

Back