Interesting Question About a Recent Car Accident and My Insurance

Trancebear

Me and my room mate got into an accident, he rear ended me following me to the mall. I added him and his car to my policy with Esurance awhile ago. I filed a claim yesterday and the agent said that I had to use my collision deductable even though I was not at fault. The other car on my policy that hit me has basic liabilty. Is this right?

Re: Interesting Question About a Recent Car Accident and My Insur

The answer will likely vary depending on the state. Each state has somewhat different rules on this.

In general though, because both cars and drivers were listed on the policy, you're roommate should pay your deductible. If the roommate and the car had their own policy, then that policy would have to pay with no deductible to you (again, depends on the state).

Dan

Trancebear,

I am located in Florida, and based on Florida's no fualt rule, if both vehicles are on the same policy then the claim will be filed under the policy. The car that does not have collision coverage will not affect the cost out of your pocket for the damage done to your car. since you have a collision deductible you or your room mate can pay for the deductible and then the insurance company will take on the difference. If your room mate had a different policy than you, then your room mates policy would pay for the collision deductible and you would not need to pay anything out of your pocket. Assuming your room mate is a good friend, he should insist on paying for the collision deductible since he/she was at fault. Hope that helps out

Did you file a police report? And if so, who did they rule at fault more on their report?

I don't think you can insure your roommates car. If you don't own it, you have no right to insure it. You can add him as a driver, but if he owns his car (titled in his name), he needs his own insurance.

Claims start as collision, until proved otherwise, often after the adjuster does an interview or see the police report.

it does depend on the state that you live in. If you are in a no fault state then that is correct. If you are not in a no fault state then you should be able to go though the other insurance co. Your adjuster may just be having you go through your own coverage to make the claim go faster.

What state are you in? (We can't all be from Alabama - roll tide!)

Back