Managing Time - Lead Gen & Proccessing Aps

BladeRunner

Expert
Hi, First year P&C agent.

When I first started I made it a point to do 30 to 50 dials a day. Now it's getting harder to maintain my cold calling.

Now that I'm getting better at it, I'm generating more quotes from my dials - I quote an average of 1 out of 3 dials. My quotes are stacking up, plus re-writes are coming in, and more answering client questions on phone calls.

My time is now limited to how many dials I can do. Some days I don't have time to cold call.

How do you guys manage time so that you keep on track with your lead generation and filling your pipeline? Thanks!

-Blade

I can go up the chain of command and talk to the owner/CEO. I don't think it will change any time soon. The way it stands now, all agents do all their lead gen, such as all outbound calling, do all rewrites, follow up and make sure applications sent out get signed and returned. Most policy servicing like billing and changes to existing policies go to the few customer service help, so at least that is off our plate. But still it's hard to get all that done and solicit new business.

Can anyone tell me how their job is structured?

Sounds like it is time to have a long talk with the owner or go out on your own. If you are that effective at generating new business, you need to spend as little time as possible on administrative tasks. Getting you an assistant would be a short term cost and long term gain for the owner.

1 out of 3 has been my average last month. It can vary though.

The agency has good brand recognition in the area from community grass-roots things they sponsor so people know it when you call. The agency provides other services so I work a current customer list so both of those things help tremendously. In a very weak way the leads are sort of semi-warm.

I don't think the dial-to-quote ratio would be as high working a stark cold list where they never heard of you or know who you are. Although, I have had senior agents tell me I'm really good at cold calling, but I would never want to be pigon holed into being a call center, telemarketer.

You all make a good point though, It would be great to have it set up the way mortgage brokers do it. Where they do all the lead gen, consult, set up the right loan, close the deal and then pass it off to the loan processor who does all the grunt work / paperwork. Have re-writes go to the processor too. I can see the agency's profits and my paychecks go through the roof.

How do all you other solo agents handle all the administrative stuff? What is your secret to managing time and getting everything done?

-Blade

Last edited:
You didn't mention what type of policy you are selling, whether its personal lines or commercial or some specialty product.

To me, if you are quoting 1 out of 3 dials, you may actually be overquoting. Are you closing 1 out of every 3 quotes? This would mean 1 sale out of every 9 dials (or less), which is phenomenal, since I can make 100 dials and not talk to anyone.

My point though is you may not be doing enough screening upfront before you run a quote to know if you stand a chance of closing the business. When you are new, you need to quote everything to learn the ins and outs. As you mature in business, you learn to screen a bunch of stuff out that isn't worth the time.

If you are closing a decent percentage of those that you quote, then everything is good, you need to show the owner how he can make more money by getting you some dedicated help.

Dan

Back