My Girlfriend Was Listed on my Policy and Was at Fault in an Accident

miked954

Hi,

I have a question that I hope someone can help answer. I live in Florida, My insurance was with Geico. I had full coverage. My Girlfriend was listed on my policy as a driver. She picked the amounts of coverage when I added her ( lowest possible ).

I was not the driver, she was listed on the policy, can I be at risk for anything? My girlfriend still denies she was at fault but she was ticketed after the fact by an officer that was not there and there were no witnesses. The driver she hit said he was fine and just had dust in his eyes from the air bag, but I think hes trying to play up his injuries as there were none at the time.

I received a letter today stating that the coverage may be exceeded for bodily injury and property damage and Geico asked if I have any money to contribute, yeah right.

I do not feel I am at fault for anything, she was the driver, she had coverage under my policy, she picked the coverage limits for her, I feel that if anyone was to go after anyone it should be her and not me.

Am I correct in my thinking? Do I have any potential liability to be worried about? One good thing is that my vehicle is getting fixed.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi,

I have a question that I hope someone can help answer. I live in Florida, My insurance was with Geico. I had full coverage. My Girlfriend was listed on my policy as a driver. She picked the amounts of coverage when I added her ( lowest possible ).

I was not the driver, she was listed on the policy, can I be at risk for anything? My girlfriend still denies she was at fault but she was ticketed after the fact by an officer that was not there and there were no witnesses. The driver she hit said he was fine and just had dust in his eyes from the air bag, but I think hes trying to play up his injuries as there were none at the time.

I received a letter today stating that the coverage may be exceeded for bodily injury and property damage and Geico asked if I have any money to contribute, yeah right.

I do not feel I am at fault for anything, she was the driver, she had coverage under my policy, she picked the coverage limits for her, I feel that if anyone was to go after anyone it should be her and not me.

Am I correct in my thinking? Do I have any potential liability to be worried about? One good thing is that my vehicle is getting fixed.

Thanks,

Mike

How serious of a girlfriend is she? Doesn't sound too serious if you're ready to throw her to the wolves.:skeptical:

If the driver of the other car said he's fine...how do you take that as trying to play up his injuries? :twitchy:

It was your car, it was your policy, she is named in it and you are on the hook. This is one of the reasons why it is dumb to have the lowest limits allowed by law and to have an on line company instead of a company with a real live local agent you can communicate with and who can advise you.

It was your car, it was your policy, she is named in it and you are on the hook. This is one of the reasons why it is dumb to have the lowest limits allowed by law and to have an on line company instead of a company with a real live local agent you can communicate with and who can advise you.

At best it depends on state.

Ultimately she is responsible for her own actions. That a shared insurance policy may offset some of that doesn't change that she was driving at the time, not him.

Getting the lowest possible is a mistake to never do again. It's very easy with state minimums to end up owing more than your policy will cover. The good news is the difference in cost isn't usually a lot. The bad news is that it won't go back in time and change this claim.

Also worth noting, usually you can't have different limits per driver, it's shared for the policy. So if you get a shared policy and your limits are 100/50/100, it's 100/50/100 for both drivers. I don't believe you can have 50/25/50 for one and 100/50/100 for the other.

Without a whole lot more information, there is no way anyone here can answer your question. For instance, if the brakes in the car actually failed, then yes, it was a mechanical problem with the car and its your car and you allowed it to be driven, you could be at least partially at fault. (extreme, unlikely example just to make a point).

That doesn't mean you are at fault, just that you could be. Truth is, I wouldn't worry about it at all yet, till you know where you stand.

On the 'possibly exceed policy limits' statement, do you know if the accident did? I'm guessing the property damage part may be exceeded if the airbags deployed. As far as injuries go, if you've ever been in an accident, you know you feel it the day after, not the day of, unless they are serious injuries. Keep in mind, this is likely a form letter that they send whenever the potential exists, they probably don't have actual numbers yet.

Dan

Since you are the named insured, and she is listed on the policy, your insurance would still trigger if she is held liable for the accident. Insurance follows the car, points follow the driver. REMEMBER, the next time you are purchasing insurance, NEVER get the state minimum limits.

Now, I know that Flordia is a no-fault state. Meaning that regardless of who is at fault, everyone's insurance pays for their PD and BI damages (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It will be interesting how this ends.

Now, I know that Flordia is a no-fault state. Meaning that regardless of who is at fault, everyone's insurance pays for their PD and BI damages (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It will be interesting how this ends.

BI is for the use of the person you hurt or injure if you are at fault. PD is the same except its for property and not persons.

It's PIP that you are referring to, no matter who is at fault their own personal PIP will cover their own medical expenses

BI is for the use of the person you hurt or injure if you are at fault. PD is the same except its for property and not persons.

It's PIP that you are referring to, no matter who is at fault their own personal PIP will cover their own medical expenses

PIP and no-fault is the same thing.

Back