Quick Auto Question - Georgia Specific

AndreaSti

Guru
100+ Post Club
So what happens if someone decides to go without auto coverage in the state of Georgia? Wouldn't the State find out even if he got away with it? I know someone who wants to let his policy lapse because Progressive found out about his DUI and raised his rate (they didn't cancel him). This person is not the smartest tool in the shed but is there anything I can say to scare him out of this? Thanks for your responses, I am a health agent so I haven't a clue.

PS: he owns his car outright so there is no lienholder.

Not sure if the state is notified or not when your insurance is non-renewed, but you do need proof of insurance to buy your tags every year.

Not sure if the state is notified or not when your insurance is non-renewed, but you do need proof of insurance to buy your tags every year.

True - didn't think of that. Hopefully he will grow some brain cells before his tag renews, or he gets in a wreck. Unfortunately this is a family member (in-law) who can't seem to understand you have to follow certain rules in life. Oh well, he isn't 50 yet, maybe there's time.

Doesn't every family have at least one of these????

Difficult to pull it off in MD. Not impossible but difficult. As soon as you lapse the carrier is required to notify our DVM. They then mail a notice requiring you to remit proof of insurance. If not your tags are suspended.

If you get caught driving on suspended tags without insurance there's no ticket. It's a mandatory court appearance and most of time you're arrested on the spot - and jail time is very popular - weekend jail but it drives the point home nicely.

In some MD counties, deputies drive out to your house to physically remove your tags. Also, it's a habit of cops to run your tags if they get behind you. So go ahead and drive around but you'll be driving using your rear view mirror.

Last edited:
Difficult to pull it off in MD. Not impossible but difficult. As soon as you lapse the carrier is required to notify our DVM. They then mail a notice requiring you to remit proof of insurance. If not your tags are suspended.

If you get caught driving on suspended tags without insurance there's no ticket. It's a mandatory court appearance and most of time you're arrested on the spot - and jail time is very popular - weekend jail but it drives the point home nicely.

In some MD counties, deputies drive out to your house to physically remove your tags. Also, it's a habit of cops to run your tags if they get behind you. So go ahead and drive around but you'll be driving using your rear view mirror.

Not sure if that happens here in GA but if it does I can guess who my in-law will call if he gets arrested. And expect to be bailed out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My wife's family has more than one. Enough to share if you need more.
No thanks. I am just grateful I have good kids. They have learned I think from watching other family members.

Last edited:

Move to TN. No proof is required until you're pulled over or get in an accident.

MD is scary. I grew up outside of DC in VA, we were warned about the Maryland side of 495. Don't speed, AT ALL or you will get a ticket!

Move to TN. No proof is required until you're pulled over or get in an accident.

Left TN in 1975 while I still had all my teeth. Didn't have to buy shoes until I moved to Atlanta.

Back