Should they pay for OEM Parts or Aftermarket?

Golddoor

Guru
100+ Post Club
Texico
I got rear ended in my 2006 Nissan Pathfinder and the guy who hit me had Allstate coverage and they are trying to put on aftermarket parts not OEM. Dont they have to put on OEM parts on my vehicle? It didnt have aftermarket parts when he hit it, so why would should I accept any thing less?

Oh gosh I hate when that happens. Usually though, it's a matter of age of the vehicle. For a 2006, it would seem OEM would be appropriate. Then, depends on your coverage. Who's the carrier?

Most insurance policies have an aftermarket clause in them. Read your policy, if you have coverage for OEM parts, than put the claim through your carrier, and have Allstate reimburse your carrier (done all the time). The carriers view on this is the aftermarket parts are good enough, and you are not really entitled to 'new' parts (the parts damaged weren't new).

On most auto policies, getting OEM parts is an option. If you push Allstate to use OEM parts, you may get used OEM parts (to replace your used parts). A little 'squeaking' doesn't hurt though. Since you are not at fault, they are more likely to give on this.

Dan

Back