Thoughts on Personal Auto Business Use

ShannonO

Expert
There are many opinions on this matter, so I thought this might be interesting to see what people here think. What is your opinion on "inside" sales people needing business auto on their personal auto policy? Since some sales people don't need their vehicle to do their job but generally are available to meet customers for customer service needs (like insurance agents), is that really business use?

I know someone whose job it is to travel to various stores to call on their accounts or a door-to-door type salesman would obviously need business use. But if you have a brick & mortar location but don't require all your clients to come to you...

I think it might be a good idea to have business use on your vehicle but don't necessarily think it's deceptive if you don't (at least based on some of the various policy language I've read) because most policies say you need business use if the vehicle is "regularly used" for business purposes.

So open to people's experiences & opinions on the matter.

Shannon

Why dont you ask the carrier, they all vary by what they will consider business use.....

Here is a really simple test.....
Is the mileage deducted on the tax return? If so, its business use.

Back