Truck Stolen from Auto Body Shop

Well he is coming to a message board asking questions about his contract and a potential criminal act. An Attorney can review his policy for him per state law and advise him on the potential criminal element and or the garage owners liability.

The OPs carrier is addressing his loss. So it's only a question of the value. I can tell you... 9 out of 10 plaintiff attorneys don't have a clue about vehicle values. Nor should/would they... as their is no money to be made from it. The attorney would need to charge the OP an hourly rate. Despite what they tell you on TV, attorneys don't work for free.

As far as liability... I'm pretty sure if a 3rd party takes your vehicle and does not return it that they are liable for the loss. It then comes down to coverage. An attorney can't do anything about a denial of coverage to a 3rd party.

I'm afraid there's a big old devil in the details here! How did the engine get damaged? And have charges been brought against the driver?

If the gal wrecked the truck with resulting engine damage, the shop will have to find a way to pay - either thru their policy, or from their bank account after being sued by your insurance carrier.

If the engine blew without any other accident happening, you're probably going to have a bit of a battle, especially if we're talking an older truck with high mileage. Engines don't last forever. You'd need to prove that the regular maintenance was done and the truck was in good working order...or that this gal did something to cause the motor to blow. Even then, the shop may not be liable for 100% of the damage.

Good Luck!

After Reading the entire thread, all I can add is the information contained here is very good you should follow it

Back