What to Do

taylor1

Have a 2012 Silverado purchased new in January. Now it has 10,000 miles on it. It was parked in front of the house on the street. There was another vehicle parked behind it. Some one hit the other vehicle and pushed it into the Silverado. The truck that was hit was totaled. The Silverado got pushed 7 feet from point of impact. There was $6,000 damage to the back end of the Silverado, when you drive it the transmission shifts different, there is a hum in the power steering, there is a vibration in the front end and when you turn a corner to the right some times the rear wheel locks up. Also, when you put your foot on the brake the vehicle lunges forward. My question is how can I get this truck totaled. I do not want this thing to be nickel and diming me to death.

I would suspect that the rear axle is bent. That is probably the reason for all the symptoms other than the PS hum. I do not see how the hum in the PS could be from the accident.

Have a 2012 Silverado purchased new in January. Now it has 10,000 miles on it. It was parked in front of the house on the street. There was another vehicle parked behind it. Some one hit the other vehicle and pushed it into the Silverado. The truck that was hit was totaled. The Silverado got pushed 7 feet from point of impact. There was $6,000 damage to the back end of the Silverado, when you drive it the transmission shifts different, there is a hum in the power steering, there is a vibration in the front end and when you turn a corner to the right some times the rear wheel locks up. Also, when you put your foot on the brake the vehicle lunges forward. My question is how can I get this truck totaled. I do not want this thing to be nickel and diming me to death.

The rule of thumb with regards to totaling a vehicle for most states is this:
The damage must meet or exceed 75% of the market value of the vehicle.

If the damages to your vehicle do not meet or exceed 75% of value, there is no reason at all to total it. It just needs to be repaired. Be sure to mention all of the issues that you have noticed since the incident to your repair facility, so that everything related to the loss is repaired and your vehicle does not "nickel and dime you to death".

Based on description of damages $6k is not sufficient amount to fix it and based on value of your truck it will not get totaled. You may need to hire independent shop that is not affiliated with paying insurer to do thorough damage analysis including frame inspection/measurement with laser equipment and pay them separately only to write comprehensive repair estimate (in this case supplement) and have truck reinspected and new repair plan approved with adjuster/appraiser for payment. After that you should cash settle your claim and sell truck as is. You will be surprised how many people looking for wreaked trucks and you will end up coming out of this situation financially much better.

ClaimsAdvocates

Based on description of damages $6k is not sufficient amount to fix it and based on value of your truck it will not get totaled. You may need to hire independent shop that is not affiliated with paying insurer to do thorough damage analysis including frame inspection/measurement with laser equipment and pay them separately only to write comprehensive repair estimate (in this case supplement) and have truck reinspected and new repair plan approved with adjuster/appraiser for payment. After that you should cash settle your claim and sell truck as is. You will be surprised how many people looking for wreaked trucks and you will end up coming out of this situation financially much better.

ClaimsAdvocates

The above quote is a brilliant example of a bad Public Adjuster. Without even looking at the damage or the estimate: "Based on description of damages $6k is not sufficient amount to fix it".
Try asking a few questions and actually see about getting a overall scope of damage before making such declarative statements. All you have right now is "damages to the back end, a humming power steering system, transmission shifting funny and the rear wheel acting up". Hardly a detailed scope, and certainly not enough of one to dispute whatever estimate someone has generated.

The above quote is a brilliant example of a bad Public Adjuster. Without even looking at the damage or the estimate: "Based on description of damages $6k is not sufficient amount to fix it".
Try asking a few questions and actually see about getting a overall scope of damage before making such declarative statements. All you have right now is "damages to the back end, a humming power steering system, transmission shifting funny and the rear wheel acting up". Hardly a detailed scope, and certainly not enough of one to dispute whatever estimate someone has generated.

Good or bad, is not for you to judge my friend. When you need help let me know, then you can decide ;)
I specialize on automobile physical damage claims. $6k damage to the rear will involve mojor damage to the rear bumper, box and lader frame of that vehicle possibly including some damage to the cab and that's why you have all other problems. I gave practical advise how to get out of this situation. People often think that getting their car totaled instead of repairing it is a better option. In fact it is much better solution if they can cash settle for damages and sell vehicle as is.

I specialize on automobile physical damage claims. $6k damage to the rear will involve mojor damage to the rear bumper, box and lader frame of that vehicle possibly including some damage to the cab and that's why you have all other problems.
From your first post, I can say without a doubt that auto physical damage is the one thing you don't specialize in. You don't know anything about the claim other than a couple of sentences and a dollar amount given above. You don't know the labor rates they're using to get there. You don't know the types of parts they're using. There are lots of ways to get to $6k in damage.

If he's in Atlanta, their rates are $42 body, $42 refinish and $28 P&M. If he's in San Francisco it's 90/90/50. Those are HUGE differences. So $6k in damage doesn't really mean anything.

A rear bumper assembly w/ sensors is $972.90 (if the guy was smart enough to buy the kit). It's closer to $1200 if they wanted to piece it together. A locking tailgate is $687.62 w/o camera or $707.90 with. Add two outer bedsides at $686.03 each where the bumper got into them low and that's $5155 damage in Atlanta or $7167 in SF. No frame damage, no broken tail lights, no cab damage, etc. And since I also believe it likely tapped the cab at least on one side, it probably didn't take 2 bedsides. Even if the bedsides were repaired, they likely spent $300-400 on emblems and decals for the bedsides and tailgate.

And did he even say who wrote the $6k in damage? If it was in my area and a direct repair facility wrote $6k in damage, then it really had $4k in damage.... maybe.

Good or bad, is not for you to judge my friend. When you need help let me know, then you can decide ;)
Yeah, I think I will take a pass on that. I have judged your credibility based on your actions and statements on the forum thus far, which have been a solid indicator or your manner of operating as a "PA".
I specialize on automobile physical damage claims.
So that makes you magic? You can look at a single sentence description, be shown no photos or given even an approximate location and you can simply determine that an estimate is inaccurate without even looking at it or the damaged vehicle?

Let me share the difference between a competent and a bad Public Adjuster, since I have had the opportunity to deal with both types on many, many occasions.
A competent PA will meet with the insured, call the insurance adjuster to meet and inspect the damage that is being reported and then the competent PA will request a copy of the insurance adjusters estimate of damages (if they did not get a copy prior to the joint inspection). The competent PA will then review the estimate and compare the damages, line by line, with the estimate. Only after that process is complete will the competent PA say "that is not enough money, and this is why", should they even need to say that.

A bad PA, on the other hand, simply walks in and announces, with minimal information about the loss, that "the insurance company did not pay enough". Subsequent to that, they try to get the insured to agree on paper to pay them up to 33% of whatever the uninformed bad PA has determined is "enough" and can manage to "get out of the insurance company".

You sure seem like you fall into the latter category.

Can you guys comment on my advise how to this guy can most effectively resolve his situation. He did say he did not want the trouble getting it fixed and he clearly indicated he wanted to get rid of the truck.
So what you say about my approach getting most out of the claim and having truck sold as is..?

Back