What Insurance to Go Through

viss2000

Hello,

I got rear ended by a car and the insurance company of the person who hit me have accepted fault.

the issue I am having is the person who hit me has insurance worth $5000 (which the company might increase to 10000 as i got hit in a state with liability limit of $10000). I went to the adjuster at Geico (other persons insurance) and they quoted me damages of 3600 but said the damages could go well over 8000 but they couldn't give me the exact quote as they could not open up the car.

Now the person at geico is suggesting I use my insurance and then they will reimburse my insurance depending on the cost of repairs.

I am just wondering if you guys think I should go through my insurance or through Geico.

Thanks for ur help !!

If you go through your insurance they will take care of everything. You will initially have to pay your deductible, but you will get that back once your insurance company collects from the other parties insurance company.

Not to distract too much from the question, but what states have these low limits?

You can have 5k pd in NJ, that's my guess considering I see 15/30/5 policies all the time with 15k pip to go along with it from Geico

Not to distract too much from the question, but what states have these low limits?

besides MA and NJ, which was already mentioned, PA and CA also have 5K pd minimums. Ohio used to be 7.5K, but it went up last year to 25K. there are still quite a few states with 10K min PD.

Back