Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones Announces Health Insurance Rebates For California Policyholders

Crabcake Johnny

Guru
5000 Post Club
Maryland
INSURANCE COMMISSIONER DAVE JONES ANNOUNCES HEALTH INSURANCE REBATES FOR CALIFORNIA POLICYHOLDERS

Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones announced today that approximately 1.9 million Californians will receive health insurance premium rebates by August 1st. Californians will receive a total of $73.9 million in premium rebates from their health insurers. For those policyholders entitled to a rebate, the average refund or credit totals $65 per family.

The rebates are the result of a provision of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) requiring health insurers in the individual and small group markets to have a Medical Loss Ratio (MLR) of 80 percent or higher. For the large group market (51 or more employees), the Medical Loss Ratio requirement in the ACA is 85 percent or higher.

On the night of his inauguration in January 2011, Commissioner Jones issued an Emergency Regulation to ensure he had the authority to enforce the new MLR requirement in the individual market in California – a move that mandated health insurers spend at least 80 percent of the health insurance premium dollars they collect for healthcare, as opposed to insurer profits, marketing and overhead. Last year, Commissioner Jones also sponsored state legislation - SB 51 (Alquist), which incorporated the MLR standard from the ACA into state law for the group markets.

“The health insurance premium rebates are another important benefit of the Affordable Care Act,” Commissioner Jones said. “The Affordable Care Act requires that more of our health insurance premium dollars be spent providing health care, rather than on administrative costs and profits.”

Rebate breakdown by health insurers regulated by the California Department of Insurance (CDI):

Blue Shield of California Life & Health Insurance Company: $10.8 million rebate to policyholders in the individual market; approximately 239,595 subscribers impacted; $45.15 average rebate per subscriber;

Kaiser Permanente Insurance Company: $277,034 rebate to policyholders in the individual market; approximately 21,823 subscribers impacted; $12.69 average rebate per subscriber;

Connecticut General Life Insurance Company (CIGNA):$3.4 million rebate to employers in the large group market; approximately 89,575 subscribers impacted; $37.70 average rebate per subscriber;

Anthem Blue Cross Life and Health Insurance Company: $1.3 million rebate to policyholders in the individual market; approximately 407,429 subscribers impacted; $3.16 average rebate per subscriber;

Aetna Life Insurance Company: $3.4 million rebate to employers in the large group market; approximately 84,428 subscribers impacted; $40.50 average rebate per subscriber;

PacifiCare Life and Health Insurance Company: $789,615 rebate to employers in the large group market; approximately 63,600 subscribers impacted; $12.42 average rebate per subscriber.

The California Department of Insurance is also in the process of conducting an audit of the largest six health insurers in California, as well as some smaller insurers to verify the accuracy of the data they provided about medical expenses, administrative costs and profits.

“We will continue to take any and all necessary steps to ensure that health insurers are complying with the law,” Commissioner Jones said. “The Department of Insurance is auditing the health insurers to make sure that consumers who are entitled to rebates receive the full amount they are owed.”

# # #
Follow us on TWITTER or become a fan on FACEBOOK!

Please visit the Department of Insurance Web site at California Department of Insurance. Non-media inquiries should be directed to the Consumer Hotline at 800.927.HELP. Out-of-state callers, please dial 213.897.8921.Telecommunications Devices for the Deaf (TDD), please dial 800.482.4833.

My wife and I are covered by Cigna through the Walt Disney Company. We're looking forward to the refund which I'm hoping is closer to $50 than the amount promoted by Comrade Jones.

So we spent how many billions of taxpayer money so I could get back about $37? Any of you reps have any idea where I can invest that?

Rick

I heard the dems will take it as a campaign donation, and they promise to turn it into a trillion dollars. democrat.gov

I got my refund check from Anthem Blue Cross last week. Five dollars and change...thanks Dave, that should buy me a gallon of gas and a .99 hamburger!

Outside the state of Kalifornication do all dept of insurance press releases so promenently name the insurance commissioner as being responsible for everything? Every time we hear about the CA DOI its Commissioner Dave Jones this and Dave Jones that.

So we spent how many billions of taxpayer money so I could get back about $37? Any of you reps have any idea where I can invest that? Rick

It's economic stimulation. Insurers spend billions to send checks for pennies, as well as mailing letters & HHS worded fliers, including letters to members who don't receive refunds. This stimulates the post office's economy. These are administrative expenses, which helps insurers fail at MLR next year, so they can send small checks & letters, then fail the following year. Economics at its finest.

Ann H said:
It's economic stimulation. Insurers spend billions to send checks for pennies, as well as mailing letters & HHS worded fliers, including letters to members who don't receive refunds. This stimulates the post office's economy. These are administrative expenses, which helps insurers fail at MLR next year, so they can send small checks & letters, then fail the following year. Economics at its finest.

It's a stimulus program for the post office.

Having gone through an audit with the Peoples Republic of California, I can tell you that the insurance companies are in for a great experience. :skeptical:

A huge amount of added administrative COSTS to go through such an audit, that will not be factored in toward the MLR, but bureaucrats will be kept busy for months giving these companies a profitectomy.

Governor Moon Beam and Davy Jones will be paving the road to socialized medicine in California faster than any state in the union. Right after they figure out how to get the state through bankruptcy.

Governor Moon Beam and Davy Jones will be paving the road to socialized medicine in California faster than any state in the union. Right after they figure out how to get the state through bankruptcy.

Don't forget the high speed rail to get to the almonds.

Rick

Back