Your Thoughts on Direct Mail Campaign...

FD -- AmAm has a free AD&D referral program you can tie as a freebie into your marketing.

It does boost response and you will get the equivalent of plate-lickers. We used it at EFES in my final few months and I didn't think too highly about it.

Many years ago (70's) I sold the Encyclopaedia Britannica. For about ten years and I was good at it, not great. About 150 sets a year at a commish of 250. 1970's dollars, not bad. Their top writer sold 500...Their premium gift item was the three volume paperback set: dictionary, thesaurus and book of quotations. The ad specified that it was valued at 12 bucks. The reps paid 3 for it. It was featured is pretty much on all of their ads, print and TV. The reps paid for these leads, about ten bucks average. So it cost about 80 bucks a to book a deal...The ads didn't attract a lot of "goofs." Book people, or parents, predominantly responded. The gift item was books and we were selling books. I've struggled over the years to determine what is the equivalent item that would attract prospects specifically for burial insurance...A starbucks card, particularly in my area of 20 percent unemployment would attract a lot of "goofs." Please advise. Johnny Smiley, just swing a kit...:)

If you are really looking for something to attract burial insurance clients, here are a few ideas...

What about giving a plant/sapling/flower bulbs for the burial site?

Or contact local floral shops, headstone engravers, funeral homes and put together a kit to give to each client including offers for their services. Or just put their info to put together a booklet outlining what to do in case of the loss of a loved one; who to contact, what florists, funeral homes, etc are in their area.

Best of luck! :idea:

If you are really looking for something to attract burial insurance clients, here are a few ideas...

What about giving a plant/sapling/flower bulbs for the burial site?

Or contact local floral shops, headstone engravers, funeral homes and put together a kit to give to each client including offers for their services. Or just put their info to put together a booklet outlining what to do in case of the loss of a loved one; who to contact, what florists, funeral homes, etc are in their area.

Best of luck! :idea:

After taking a class on preneed, I find that there are simply so many duties to perform when your in charge of planning funeral arrangments, let alone the many options per duty. It is mind boggling! I feel sorry for people who just lost a loved one (loved a lost one), they have to be put through all that. Worse if you don't have a plan in place! Check out some of these things.

From my class on webce,

No one likes talking about death, let alone planning for it, because it means confronting one’s greatest fears: being separated from loved ones, enduring the suffering and pain that may accompany a final illness, being overwhelmed by grief when a loved one dies, and facing the unknown and mysterious nature of death. Many people avoid facing these unspoken fears by simply ignoring the subject of death and funeral planning. Quite often, fear also causes people to procrastinate.

[FONT=&quot]In addition, a number of important decisions must be made fairly quickly. Specifically, family members or friends must[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]decide whether burial, cremation, or donation of the body to science is desired;[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]choose a funeral provider and cemetery;[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]select a casket and burial vault, if needed;[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]decide on an open or closed casket;[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]make arrangements for a memorial service;[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]choose pallbearers and a religious leader to oversee the funeral;[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]select clothing and jewelry;[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]make arrangements for music and flowers;[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]write an obituary and notify newspapers; and[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]decide how much money to spend on the service.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In addition to making decisions about the funeral, many people and organizations must be contacted, often as quickly as possible, after a family member or friend’s death. These include:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]relatives and friends[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]a minister, priest, rabbi, or other spiritual leader[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]the deceased’s employer[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]local newspapers[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]insurance agents[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Social Security Administration[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Veterans Administration[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]religious, fraternal, and civic organizations and unions[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]attorney, accountant, and financial planner[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]credit card companies[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As you can see, surviving family members are confronted with a myriad of decisions and tasks during the period immediately following a loved one’s death. Survivors may feel a great sense of comfort and peace in knowing that they have faithfully carried out a person’s last wishes, when those wishes have been made known in advance.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Reduce Financial Burden on Survivors[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Many people pre-pay because funerals are expensive, costing around $6,500 on average.2 However, this figure does not include cemetery costs, flowers, limousines, acknowledgment cards, catering services, and more, which can easily push the cost well beyond $10,000. Many people consequently set aside funds in advance to avoid placing this financial burden on loved ones.[/FONT]

I often thought about putting together a type of multiple choice quiz like pamphlet to figuring out what type of funeral, service, etc aka a plan they want in place. Comes with last will and testament (to dodge probate expenses 3-7% of an estate), living will, power of attorney.
Each option would have a minor explanation with cost estimate involve. That way they can total up what they have for a plan, and see the price and total plan. Maybe prioritize funds on certain options like casket or cemetery plot etc.

I feel bad, or I should say compassionately for this type of prospect. I often want to be the psychopomp and help them through the river of Hades, helping to plan and guide them....just selling them a way to fund a policy without putting the plan together is incomplete and a way to lose sales (do you think someone you helped put together a plan will outshop you?).

After taking a class on preneed, I find that there are simply so many duties to perform when your in charge of planning funeral arrangments, let alone the many options per duty. It is mind boggling! I feel sorry for people who just lost a loved one (loved a lost one), they have to be put through all that. Worse if you don't have a plan in place! Check out some of these things.

From my class on webce,

No one likes talking about death, let alone planning for it, because it means confronting one’s greatest fears: being separated from loved ones, enduring the suffering and pain that may accompany a final illness, being overwhelmed by grief when a loved one dies, and facing the unknown and mysterious nature of death. Many people avoid facing these unspoken fears by simply ignoring the subject of death and funeral planning. Quite often, fear also causes people to procrastinate.

[FONT=&quot]In addition, a number of important decisions must be made fairly quickly. Specifically, family members or friends must[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]decide whether burial, cremation, or donation of the body to science is desired;[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]choose a funeral provider and cemetery;[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]select a casket and burial vault, if needed;[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]decide on an open or closed casket;[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]make arrangements for a memorial service;[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]choose pallbearers and a religious leader to oversee the funeral;[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]select clothing and jewelry;[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]make arrangements for music and flowers;[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]write an obituary and notify newspapers; and[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]decide how much money to spend on the service.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In addition to making decisions about the funeral, many people and organizations must be contacted, often as quickly as possible, after a family member or friend’s death. These include:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]relatives and friends[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]a minister, priest, rabbi, or other spiritual leader[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]the deceased’s employer[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]local newspapers[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]insurance agents[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Social Security Administration[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Veterans Administration[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]religious, fraternal, and civic organizations and unions[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]attorney, accountant, and financial planner[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]credit card companies[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As you can see, surviving family members are confronted with a myriad of decisions and tasks during the period immediately following a loved one’s death. Survivors may feel a great sense of comfort and peace in knowing that they have faithfully carried out a person’s last wishes, when those wishes have been made known in advance.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Reduce Financial Burden on Survivors[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Many people pre-pay because funerals are expensive, costing around $6,500 on average.2 However, this figure does not include cemetery costs, flowers, limousines, acknowledgment cards, catering services, and more, which can easily push the cost well beyond $10,000. Many people consequently set aside funds in advance to avoid placing this financial burden on loved ones.[/FONT]

I often thought about putting together a type of multiple choice quiz like pamphlet to figuring out what type of funeral, service, etc aka a plan they want in place. Comes with last will and testament (to dodge probate expenses 3-7% of an estate), living will, power of attorney.
Each option would have a minor explanation with cost estimate involve. That way they can total up what they have for a plan, and see the price and total plan. Maybe prioritize funds on certain options like casket or cemetery plot etc.

I feel bad, or I should say compassionately for this type of prospect. I often want to be the psychopomp and help them through the river of Hades, helping to plan and guide them....just selling them a way to fund a policy without putting the plan together is incomplete and a way to lose sales (do you think someone you helped put together a plan will outshop you?).

Empty, you do realize you can become a funeral Preplanner don't you?

What state are you in?

Wait, who's doing the calling again? You or the customer? Depending on how good your freebie is, I'm not entirely sure you would get too many calls if you intend to let interested customers call you. If you somehow have in hand the phone numbers of the customers, though, that still doesn't guarantee a return. It's all in how well you communicate, I think.

Personally I would scrap the direct mail and just go straight to the phone calls.
Calling B2C, taking into account the DNC list, and the number of people who will/do answer the phone, you will talk to 24.3 people per thousand. Ignoring the other 975.7 can turn out to be an expensive mistake.
It'll save you money and will have more success.
"Saving money" is a fool's metric. Return on investment isn't.

Last edited:
"Saving money" is a fools metric. Return on investment isn't.

Agreed!

I could save over $1k per month if I cold called individuals for annuities instead of doing DM.... but I would only make a small fraction of what I do with DM.

Not to mention the huge amount of time it would take to cold call that many people. I would basically spend all my day prospecting instead of meeting with clients.

I can reach 1000 people in an hour using DM.
Using postcards im guaranteed that most will at least glance at it.

True CCing and running calls through the DNCR guarantees that I am immediately blocked from the majority of my prospects.

Successful marketing is about ROI and time management.

Back