Group STD and Pre-ex Clause

mwc

Is anyone aware of a STD carrier that will write a group under 10 lives (group has 6 full time eligibles) without a pre-ex clause. I have carriers willing to write if it was a case with 10 lives and 100% employer paid. I need someone willing to go under 10.

The group recently added a 100% employer paid STD plan in January only to discover that there is a 6 month pre-ex clause where the max out payout is $50 per week. This effects an employee who will be having a C-Section in mid-March.

Would any carrier out there take on that risk? I would expect there to be an increase in premium and a reduced benefit, but is there anything out there that can enhance what they already have?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Lincoln, or Guardian. I know Guardian will do a small group, but it really depends on the occupation(s).

Pre-existing is going to effect a lot of them, but if you call a sales office, they should be able to guide you. Unum (ewww) maybe, but then again she'd probably prefer it if the claim actually got paid.

Also check out Reliance Standard. I like their small group plans. Eligible for 3+ lives. And they offer 60% up to $7,500 for LTD, which most carriers only do $6,000. Additionally they give Own-Occ coverage for first 3 years of claim which is better than most.

They will have a preexisting clause, but it is somewhat favorable. Pays only 30% of regular claim for the first 12 months. After 12 months, full benefit is offered. I believe this is also fairly good in comparison to most.

If you need a contact for Reliance Standard, contact Disability Resource Group. That's who I use for them.

Remember all companies will ASK about the current situation. So if they don't pre-ex, they will price to take care of the automatic claim in the premium.

Back