Can Teaming Up with P & C Work

quinti59

I am looking into getting into Voluntary Benefits market. I have 15 years experience in personal INS and wholsaled. I have friends who work on the P & C side and want feedback on the getting referral bus from their comercial clients. Has anyone tried this approach?

I can kind of help you on this, but we have a little bit of a different situation. I do group health and voluntary benefits. The problem would arise by getting into each others business.

For me, any referrals would be a bonus. I need to be able to at least hand off a P&C to a client, but getting an in-house would be optimal. Its hard to compete with the full-service brokerages , but at least having a "loose" referral base would be very helpful. I would eventually like to have a P&C agent in-house. I know they would get a lot of referrals from our end right off the bat, the question is are we going to be stepping into each others business. I know I will never go into P&C, but will they do health or voluntary?

Since you are looking specifically at the voluntary market, you have a little bit of a different time. Do these P&C friends have their own agency? From what I have seen, the only areas a P&C guy will try to get into (Outside of health) is individual life. You need to know exactly what your friends do and what they plan on doing in the future. Obviously any time you can a non-threatening referral base, it is a good situation. Networking is very under-utilized in the insurance business.

I can kind of help you on this, but we have a little bit of a different situation. I do group health and voluntary benefits. The problem would arise by getting into each others business.

For me, any referrals would be a bonus. I need to be able to at least hand off a P&C to a client, but getting an in-house would be optimal. Its hard to compete with the full-service brokerages , but at least having a "loose" referral base would be very helpful. I would eventually like to have a P&C agent in-house. I know they would get a lot of referrals from our end right off the bat, the question is are we going to be stepping into each others business. I know I will never go into P&C, but will they do health or voluntary?

Since you are looking specifically at the voluntary market, you have a little bit of a different time. Do these P&C friends have their own agency? From what I have seen, the only areas a P&C guy will try to get into (Outside of health) is individual life. You need to know exactly what your friends do and what they plan on doing in the future. Obviously any time you can a non-threatening referral base, it is a good situation. Networking is very under-utilized in the insurance business.

I do P&C, group/individual health, yet I work referrals with a local Aflac rep and it's worked out quite nicely. I've just asked him not to promote group or individual life and thus far he has honored that request. As long as he continues I will continue sending him my clients who want voluntary products. It take both parties not being greedy and paying the referral or commissions correctly and honestly to work long term. It's a great fit for us anyway. If you find someone that wants to do it all they may get into your business so be careful.

How do you get in with the P & C agent? Most of them are farmers or ones like that around here.

We do marketing for many agencies accross the country including p/c & advisory firms.
I have many contacts.
Getting in on benefits is tough (although we have recently started to break the ice in several states).
We have been doing a crossselling campaign for one our clients and it has been very successful ...15-20 meetings in past 60-90 days.
I would like to be able to help by either making an introduction or perhaps facititating the creation a crossselling campaign where we could possibly be invilved in seting up meetings.
please feel free to contact me
Sincerely
Robert Levin

How do you get in with the P & C agent? Most of them are farmers or ones like that around here.

You have to go back to good ol' hard work and handshaking. Schedule appointments with your potential allies and learn how YOU CAN HELP THEM. Do that for THEM, and ask them secondarily how they can help you. Giver's gain.

Ps. Qualify, qualify, qualify... you don't want to give your hard earned contacts or efforts to individuals that can not give back.

I recently found out about with an upcoming virtual insurance marketing event where you will be able to meet many brokers and connect with fellow agents.

Its like a virtual trade show - but in the computer, exibit halls, booths, presentations, etc.

Its from Oct 27-30

it is truly amazing technology and several national players will be there.

i am getting the details now and will post links soon

Interesting...now what kind of referral fee can you expect from a PC agent?

Back