Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Employee Benefits Forum

Reply to Colonial Life     
Old 05-23-2016, 08:57 PM   #1
Super Genius
Waterfront Financial on Colonial Life

State: Waterfront Financial is an Insurance Agent from Arizona
Colonial Life Colonial Life
Anyone have any opinions on them? Thinking of getting back into Insurance, went for a meeting with a area manager.

Their commission structure, seems low to me?

------------------------------------
Francisco Garcia Jr
Waterfront Financial Management Group, INC
Financial/Real Estate Consultant
4400 N Scottsdale Rd
Scottsdale, Az 85251
  Reply With Quote to Colonial Life

Old 05-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #2
Guru

State: scagnt83 is an Insurance Agent from South Carolina
scagnt83 is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Colonial Life Re: Colonial Life
Originally Posted by Waterfront Financial View Post
Anyone have any opinions on them? Thinking of getting back into Insurance, went for a meeting with a area manager.

Their commission structure, seems low to me?
Are you interviewing as an enroller or new account opener?

Commission fairness is all relative to your function.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:15 PM   #3
Super Genius
Waterfront Financial on Colonial Life

State: Waterfront Financial is an Insurance Agent from Arizona
Colonial Life Re: Colonial Life Waterfront Financial is the thread starter for: Colonial Life

Originally Posted by scagnt83 View Post
Are you interviewing as an enroller or new account opener?

Commission fairness is all relative to your function.
New Accounts Opener

Francisco Garcia Jr
Waterfront Financial Management Group, INC
Financial/Real Estate Consultant
4400 N Scottsdale Rd
Scottsdale, Az 85251
Old 05-23-2016, 10:29 PM   #4
Guru

I forget what they paid for that around here. But you do not have to deal with employees at all. You are 100% business to business sales, which is nice. You just go from account to account and get a cut of what the enrollers do.

Enrolling is easier because you dont have to prospect. But it is harder because enrolling and dealing with employees, being stuck at a location for anywhere from 1 day to 2 weeks, traveling for extended periods, etc. is all stuff you have to put up with.

Opener is easier from a time spent standpoint, but it is 100% up to you to find new business. The reason comp is less, is because you dont have to enroll and you can spend that time finding new groups which makes everyone more money in the long run.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #5
Guru
axeman462 on Colonial Life

State: axeman462 is an Insurance Agent from Florida
axeman462 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Read this post, you may want to reconsider signing with colonial life

Beware of colonial life recruiters

David Walls
---------------
Lets not get tired of doing good, because in time we'll have a harvest if we don't give up. ~ Galatians 6:9
Old 05-24-2016, 07:34 AM   #6
Guru

Originally Posted by axeman462 View Post
Read this post, you may want to reconsider signing with colonial life

Beware of colonial life recruiters
Colonial Life is a perfectly upstanding company that has a higher new agent success rate than their main competitor Aflac.

In that post the guy never got put on any enrollments... there could be LOTS of reasons they never used him... perhaps he never correctly learned the products??? Always 2 sides to a story... especially with 1st year agents who fail. There are also just shi**y people in the world who will use and mistreat others... but that is not in any way representative of their company as a whole.

I personally know multiple Colonial Enrollers who make over $100k per year from Colonial alone. And they do not have to cold call or do any prospecting at all. (they do travel a lot)

I also personally know multiple Openers who make in the same income range or more.

Im not saying all of them make that much. But if you are a capable and motivated agent it is very possible.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:24 PM   #7
Super Genius
glgamerica on Colonial Life

State: glgamerica is an Insurance Agent from Indiana
Originally Posted by Waterfront Financial View Post
New Accounts Opener
I don't know how Colonial does it, but as an experienced worksite consultant, I'm more involved in the enrollment process and just don't hand it off to enrollers.

The real money in worksite is made in the setup. The larger the group gets, the more challenging setup can be.

I then decide what resources I need and pay the enrollers out of my cut. You can expect to pay enrollers about $200 per day plus expenses.

I'm guessing your cut is larger at Colonial if you do all the work so the question you need to ask is what is my commission split if I do all the work on each product I offer.

Michael Kuhn, President
GLG America
http://www.GLGAmerica.com
GLG America specializes in workplace benefits like life, disability income, critical illness, accident, supplemental health and other insurance.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:02 AM   #8
Guru

Originally Posted by glgamerica View Post
I don't know how Colonial does it, but as an experienced worksite consultant, I'm more involved in the enrollment process and just don't hand it off to enrollers.

The real money in worksite is made in the setup. The larger the group gets, the more challenging setup can be.

I then decide what resources I need and pay the Enrollers out of my cut. You can expect to pay Enrollers about $200 per day plus expenses.

I'm guessing your cut is larger at Colonial if you do all the work so the question you need to ask is what is my commission split if I do all the work on each product I offer.

Colonial's business model for their "career" agents is to have separate Enrollers and Openers. But the BOR is the Opener. And they are able to control and manage the enrollment.

If you are an indy agent then you can choose to perform both functions for the groups you close. But if you want Enrollers for Colonial products, they will be on commission and not on a Fee basis.

On a separate note, as someone who has been involved in managing enrollments for large groups that were 3k+, I am not a fan of paying a flat fee for Enrollers.

$200 a day will not motivate a skilled agent. Paying a commission might lower your comp from a % basis. But your total Premium will increase because you have motivated and skilled agents.

Ive personally come on as an Enroller (not Colonial) on large groups at just a tiny 10% comp and cleared $300-$500+ per day. Had I received a flat fee I would not have been nearly as motivated to sell that much. Honestly, even back then I was making more than $200 per day with normal activities, so I wouldnt have even agreed to work it. If you want skilled agents then you have to pay them accordingly. Health/Dental/Vision need no sales skill to enroll. But the supplemental products need solid sales skills to create big Premiums.

I saw an increase in total Premium in the 30%-45% range when using commission based agents. If you pay 10%-20% in comp to Enrollers... then you Net an extra 10%-35% in comp. jmo

Last edited by scagnt83; 05-25-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:34 AM   #9
Guru

State: Gulfman is an Insurance Agent from Florida
Good info guys....thanks!
Old 06-20-2016, 10:15 AM   #10
Guru

State: pfg1 is an Insurance Agent from Virginia
pfg1 is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Does Colonial offer products to individuals also? Like accident, cancer, etc? (along the lines of Aflac)

----------

I guess I should add... in Virginia
Reply to Colonial Life 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Employee Benefits Forum