Walk and Talks

Has anyone had success in doing walk and talks in the employee benefits industry?

Please share your stories and ideas.... Thanks in advance

What is a walk and talk? If you mean cold calling by walking into a business, big waste of time.

Yes cold walking.........

Funny how someone always says no matter whatever someone asks abut is a "waste" of time. But then, there are those that go out and do it and make a small fortune. Walk and talk works no matter if you are calling on business or individuals if a person will do it on a consistent, regular basis but you can't make 7 or 8 calls and then give up because none of them resulted in a base hit, much less a home run.

Funny how someone always says no matter whatever someone asks abut is a "waste" of time. But then, there are those that go out and do it and make a small fortune. Walk and talk works no matter if you are calling on business or individuals if a person will do it on a consistent, regular basis but you can't make 7 or 8 calls and then give up because none of them resulted in a base hit, much less a home run.

I know many people who have made this work. Commit to it for a month, 2 or 3 days a week and go for it. You're going to need both group and individual in your briefcase to make any money. Remember 10-3-1. Good luck!

That was my comment. (sorry, but not in a good mood today) While I am not usually negative about ideas/comments, I stand by my assessment and comment. I have been doing nothing but employee benefits for over 32 years, selling all types of benefits. Can someone "walk and talk" and make a fortune, possibly. But if anyone believes that in today's ACA environment that "walking and talking" is a valid strategy for building a benefits book of business, your nuts. You might be able to build an individual book, but not a group book.

Small employer benefits business has been decimated by ACA. If you believe that you can walk into enough groups of 25+ (pick a size number) and convert those to paying customers, more power to you. A good benefits proudcer could be more effective with other strategies, such as referrals, HR associations, etc.

Last edited:
That was my comment. (sorry, but not in a good mood today) While I am not usually negative about ideas/comments, I stand by my assessment and comment. I have been doing nothing but employee benefits for over 32 years, selling all types of benefits. Can someone "walk and talk" and make a fortune, possibly. But if anyone believes that in today's ACA environment that "walking and talking" is a valid strategy for building a benefits book of business, your nuts. You might be able to build an individual book, but not a group book.

Small employer benefits business has been decimated by ACA. If you believe that you can walk into enough groups of 25+ (pick a size number) and convert those to paying customers, more power to you. A good benefits proudcer could be more effective with referrals.

I do not disagree that referrals are a better form of prospecting. But when referrals are slow coming in or when an agent is new, walking and talking is a whole lot better than sitting in the office waiting on something to happen. It still works just like it used to for certain products. And, I was thinking more in line of groups of 3- 25.

You just made my point. The 3 to 25 market is dead.

I am not finding that to be true.. Even though I do not work full time anymore, I have friends that are doing quite well in that market. One wrote three groups last week for a total of 21 cancer plan applications with a premium of a little more that 10K. Another is enrolling an 18 person group Monday. The employer didn't want to withhold the premiums so it is going to be done on individual bank draft but the enrollment is still going to take place at the work site.

Back