Even Old Guys Make Huge Mistakes

rousemark

Still Here!
5000 Post Club
Niota, TN
Fell prey to the temptation of taking shortcuts today. Had a case that appeared to be a laydown.... 70 year old retired truck driver.. Had a 25K term expiring.. wanted to increase his coverage to 40K.. Asked the health questions .. no problems other than cholesterol and taking an oral medication for diabetes.. well controlled. Quoted 25K SNL and 15K Equitable.. Total $276 monthly.. Prospect says , "great".. and gets his checkbook..

Fill out the SNL app and ask for meds.. Taking a statin for the cholesterol, the diabetes pill, a long term antibiotic becasue of a condition that cause skin boils. And then......... Gabapentin. I ask him if he has ever had seizures.. He says no.. Uh Oh.. how about Neuropathy? He says "no" I ask what the Gabapentin is for.... He says he is taking it for leg cramps that he has had since he was a child.. I breath a sign of relief because the drug can be used for restless leg syndrome.. I ask how long he has been taking it and he says about 2 years.. the sick feeling returns.

Do the phone interview with Equitable.. At the end the policy is approved but the rate is $800 more than my quote.. I ask why and she tells me it is issued standard due to neuropathy.. I explain the leg cramps.. she insists it is neuropathy... Prospect gets upset and says he will not pay additional premium because he does not have neuropathy.. .. End up leaving the hosue with no sale.

I almost always do not quote a case until after I have discussed the medications a prospect takes.. Had I not gotten in a hurry, I would have known to quote something different. He would have probably bought at a higher premium if I had not already quoted a lower premium.. as it was he felt he was being taken advantage of.

New agents... if your sales slack off, take a look at how you are doing things.. Never ever get to thinking you are so good you can afford to take shortcuts..

Fell prey to the temptation of taking shortcuts today. Had a case that appeared to be a laydown.... 70 year old retired truck driver.. Had a 25K term expiring.. wanted to increase his coverage to 40K.. Asked the health questions .. no problems other than cholesterol and taking an oral medication for diabetes.. well controlled. Quoted 25K SNL and 15K Equitable.. Total $276 monthly.. Prospect says , "great".. and gets his checkbook..

Fill out the SNL app and ask for meds.. Taking a statin for the cholesterol, the diabetes pill, a long term antibiotic becasue of a condition that cause skin boils. And then......... Gabapentin. I ask him if he has ever had seizures.. He says no.. Uh Oh.. how about Neuropathy? He says "no" I ask what the Gabapentin is for.... He says he is taking it for leg cramps that he has had since he was a child.. I breath a sign of relief because the drug can be used for restless leg syndrome.. I ask how long he has been taking it and he says about 2 years.. the sick feeling returns.

Do the phone interview with Equitable.. At the end the policy is approved but the rate is $800 more than my quote.. I ask why and she tells me it is issued standard due to neuropathy.. I explain the leg cramps.. she insists it is neuropathy... Prospect gets upset and says he will not pay additional premium because he does not have neuropathy.. .. End up leaving the hosue with no sale.

I almost always do not quote a case until after I have discussed the medications a prospect takes.. Had I not gotten in a hurry, I would have known to quote something different. He would have probably bought at a higher premium if I had not already quoted a lower premium.. as it was he felt he was being taken advantage of.

New agents... if your sales slack off, take a look at how you are doing things.. Never ever get to thinking you are so good you can afford to take shortcuts..

You could repost this in every forum.....no matter what line one's in, this is sage advice.

so the underwriter is suggesting one cant have restless leg with diabetes and that it must be neuropathy???--- . Why didn't you just run the 25M SNL forgetting the Equitible and see if they saw it level as you to that issued?

so the underwriter is suggesting one cant have restless leg with diabetes and that it must be neuropathy???--- . Why didn't you just run the 25M SNL forgetting the Equitible and see if they saw it level as you to that issued?

I would say, the MIB indicated Neuropathy... I would have been glad to submit the SNL by itself but the prospect was really upset... Plus his wife spoke up after the POS and told him, "I told you not to spend all that money on insurance." He tried to explain to her that he was doing it for her but she just kept on. She told him, "I told you just to go down to the funeral home and prepay like i did." He tried to tell her he wanted to leave her some extra money but finally he just shook his head and said, "I guess that is what I will do".. I might could have recovered if it had not been for her but it is doubtful.. But with her giving him down the road, it was just not possible.

Man, sorry to hear about this one brother...you are right, short cuts can bust all of us, thanks for sharing and remember there is always tomorrow.

Why not write trinity? Doesn't ask about neuropathy.

Don't have them.. UHL doesn't either but I had already fouled the water and did not have a chance for another quote.. I might see if Dave wants a shot at him.. They don't live too far from each other..

Don't have them.. UHL doesn't either but I had already fouled the water and did not have a chance for another quote.. I might see if Dave wants a shot at him.. They don't live too far from each other..

I think the problem initially was you offered it up to Equitable, they dont have very good FE rates and their uw is not on par with what I would call a go to company, they have great cancer and HI plans as well as med supps in some areas but FE is a no no with me, I dont like their phone app either.

Tough break old guy...it happens to the best of us.

Did you consider pivoting to ACI? Level's a couple of bucks less per month than Equitable Preferred and SNL.

I would say, the MIB indicated Neuropathy... I would have been glad to submit the SNL by itself but the prospect was really upset... Plus his wife spoke up after the POS and told him, "I told you not to spend all that money on insurance." He tried to explain to her that he was doing it for her but she just kept on. She told him, "I told you just to go down to the funeral home and prepay like i did." He tried to tell her he wanted to leave her some extra money but finally he just shook his head and said, "I guess that is what I will do".. I might could have recovered if it had not been for her but it is doubtful.. But with her giving him down the road, it was just not possible.

yeah, when a family member starts pushing back its often a lost cause. Saw a man other day who wanted additional insurance to protect his family having to come out of pocket. You would think the children would welcome that but the daughter who helps him put the kabash on it. I'm going to have to start finding out up front some east and subtle way if the one presenting to makes his own decisions---children to often mess it up after giving a compelling presentation with the prospect wanting some and then not being to make the decision without consulting

Latest posts

Back