Newbie Marketing Advice

I have a limited budget. I think I am an average closer right now. If you were new to the business now, what marketing tactic would you invest your $500-$600 in to get off on the best foot? I am in St. Louis, MO and the DM leads seem to be trickling in rather slowly as compared to what others have stated.

I have a limited budget. I think I am an average closer right now. If you were new to the business now, what marketing tactic would you invest your $500-$600 in to get off on the best foot? I am in St. Louis, MO and the DM leads seem to be trickling in rather slowly as compared to what others have stated.

My advice is get with a monster in St.Louis and jump in his car to see what he does on a daily basis. I have an agent there that will win 2 company incentive trips this year alone. I'm not sure who you are but if you are with 360 I can put you in his car.

But only starting with $500 or $600 is going to be rough.

Honestly I wouldn't want to do this with only $5-600. I would deliver pizzas or something on the side to build up a bigger bank roll. All it takes is one bad mIl drop or TM return and you're out of business.

I'd think you would want $2k for marketing before getting started.

If you're going to keep on I'd pm John Galt about some leads.

$500? That's 16 leads at $30 apiece. 30% you'll never talk to and the other 70% you might get in front of 6-8 and being new sell 2. It sounds like your single and live at home so i'd have $2-$3k to start. If I were you i'd find some Avatar Tm leads at $7 or so and work those to the bone while you're learning. Every $30 Dm lead you can't contact or has no interest will hurt when starting out. Quanity over Quality when starting out.

An organization like EFES may be what's best for you. You can get the ball rolling with that amount of budget.

I've got to 2nd what Gooner said. One small hiccup and you are out of business. Save up some money and do it right. Give yourself a chance of succeeding.

$500? That's 16 leads at $30 apiece.

On the bright side that $500 would get you 19 "Life Insurance" leads with FEX! :)

I would buy a list of names of people 65-75, income of 0-40K in your county. I load 50 or so in a route planner and go door knock and leave door notices.

When some one answered the door I would have a copy of a blank lead in my hand and say "we mailed these cards out in regards to the information blah blah blah... And we have not received yours... I need to get this information to you.. Blah Blah...." and Boom, you made a sale!

You could do this in the evening and weekends to get started.

It's not easy but you will find out what you're made of, and if you got the heart for this profession. Bust your butt make some sales, build your bankroll and get on a honest lead program.

Good Luck,
Travis

My original suggestion was based on a plan that I have seen work in this type of cash flow situation. You team up with somebody in your area that is successful in this business and who is running several direct mail leads.

That agent will probably have leads that he has never gotten a hold of on the phone or possibly even hung up on him because they did not remember filling out the card. If you start running 50 leads per week like this agent you can skim the top and still make a very comfortable living. So there are leads that can be Door knocked to extract money that is still there.

Maybe you can work a deal out with him to give you those leads in exchange for a lower contract up front? Maybe you can get a higher contract and split the business with him? And that $500- $600 you could buy the $7 avatar leads that we have to supplement your income and build up to getting on a direct mail order. The ultimate goal in my opinion is to get on a standing direct mail order.

Along the way you'll find roadblocks, I can guarantee you that. But it will help to find excuses of why it WILL work instead of trying to find excuses why it WON'T work!

Where there is a will there is a way! The question is do you have the will?

Last edited:
Back