Allstate Vs Erie

PA330

I'm thinking of going on my own. I sell Erie now for a semi independent agent. I'm trying to figure out if I want to go with Allstate or Erie. I know one is captive and one isnt, but what I want to know is which one is best. Which one is the best way to go?

Erie rates out higher by almost every metric. They offer better products/features (usually at a comparable or better price) and score higher on customer service and claims surveys. Their corporate culture is much more customer and agent friendly. Erie is also quite good at commercial insurance (where Allstate struggles).

The only thing Allstate is better for is name recognition and for doing business in multiple states (Erie is a super regional, while Allstate is pretty much everywhere).

Allstate does also have a larger underwriting appetite (more likely to take standard/sub standard stuff, whereas Erie is almost exclusively for preferred business).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Insurance Forums

Allstate will not competitively write non-standard. I would not touch Allstate w/ a 10 foot pole. They're a disgusting anti-agent company. I would absolutely go w/ Erie instead & also seek out other appointments aside from Erie

I'm an Erie agent, and would definitely recommend that route. I also know several ex-Allstate agents who now have Erie agencies who would tell you the same. Good luck whatever way you go.

Well the thing is, I'm a producer for an Erie agent. I'm not sure if I'll be alowed to be an Erie agent. I would love to, they have really good products. So my last resort would be to go with the other if I can't be an Erie agent.

I wondered about that. From your earlier post, I thought maybe this was an open option. I don't think Erie would appoint you close to your current employer. If you're willing to set up shop somewhere else, maybe. You'll need to speak with a DSM about it. Not sure if Erie is appointing in your area, so that could be an issue. I know it's a delicate situation trying to leave and go out on your own.

I'm thinking of going on my own. I sell Erie now for a semi independent agent. I'm trying to figure out if I want to go with Allstate or Erie. I know one is captive and one isnt, but what I want to know is which one is best. Which one is the best way to go?

If you are going to write large commercial accounts Erie is the best bet. When I run across a commercial account with ALLSTATE it is usually some small hair shop or something. I actually have an ALSTATE agent who I was in a BNI group with that sends me all of his surplus lines businesses and those ALLSTATE won't take.

----------

Well the thing is, I'm a producer for an Erie agent. I'm not sure if I'll be alowed to be an Erie agent. I would love to, they have really good products. So my last resort would be to go with the other if I can't be an Erie agent.

Yes you can. I had that option but didn't want to be in an office M-F 8 to 5.

Back