Customers Hate Sales People!

Written by: Joshua J. Nichols
President of Paccione Insurance

I will not deny it or say it is untrue. The fact is people do in fact hate sales people.
“I HATE sales people. Unfortunately, I have to deal with them to a certain extent, since I am technically a buyer. If sales people had their way, they would waste 4 or more hours of my work day, so I’ve had to resort to screening my phone calls. And, I have also made a house rule that if a sales person calls more than 3 times, they are cut off. I will no longer be placing orders with them. Period. The way I see it is that if you are offering a good product, it will sell itself. If I can use it, I will buy if from you. If you try and force your products down my throat, obviously the product sucks and I don’t want it.
Last time I went car shopping, the sales guy asked what I was looking for. I told him I was looking for a Jeep, but since they didn’t have one in the color I wanted he said, “How about we get you into a nice Ford Focus…” I rolled my eyes, turned around and walked off the lot without saying another word to that tool (Although I did want to say, “**** you and your crappy Ford Focus too!”). Am I missing something? What exactly does a Ford Focus and a Jeep Wrangler have in common?! Suggesting something so stupid and thinking that you could manipulate me into buying something I don’t want, is just an insult to my intelligence…” [FONT=&quot]Quote from I Hate Sales People | Endless Summer[/FONT]

Now if a customer comes into our agency looking for a Jeep Wrangler we are going to direct them to the nearest free mental health clinic (just kidding), but the above quote does show why generally most people hate salesmen. Now STOP and think about that. You work in sales and sales pay your bills but generally everyone hates sales people. They put their names in “Do Not Call Lists” they spend money on “NO SOLICATION” signs. They try to avoid us and it don’t matter how great our products are they don’t want anything to do with us.
Now using the above quote we have a customer who wants to buy but we don’t have their product available at his time. What would you do? Offer them something else like the agent did above? Here is what I would do.

GET DETAILS FROM THEM!

Is she dead set on that color? Would she be willing to look at some others colors we have available? Does she have a deadline when she must have this new car? Would she be willing to wait while we order her car in the color she requested?

Customers are not stupid and they know you work on commission, but do they care? no not really, should they?, no not really. Customers want it their way and why should they not get it their way. It’s their money and they have worked hard for it. We as agents need to work for our customers not for ourselves. Yes this deal is not going to get closed today. Yes there is a chance that this customer may not even close in the future, BUT did you take care of the customer by addressing their needs and doing your best to provide them a service that meets their needs. YES!
I challenge you to not be sales agents! People hate sales agents for several reasons but the number one reason is they just simply don’t trust them.

By now everyone is probably asking what do you suggest we do?

The answer is being a consultant for the customer.The key difference is that a consultant never makes decisions for the individual or group but rather helps the individual or group to make the decision they already want to make! Being a consultant is not to talk all day about your products and how great it is but to rather talk to the person and to learn about their situation, learn about their current contracts through health carriers, find out about their kids and conditions they may have. The more questions you have for them shows them that you care about their needs and their personal situation. This information can then be used to determine what products this customer would benefit most from. You can show how your product will change their life and situation. This will put some real value in your product and show the customer why they need this product. This will not only result in a sale but you will have gained respect from the customer that will lead to referrals and a lasting business relationship.

Last edited:
Two things, people love sales professionals but hate sales people, and there is a difference. You listed a sales person trying to fit someone into a Focus.

Secondly, people do need help making the decision, if they could make it on their own they could just sign up at a site like e-health without talking to an agent, but the ones that entertain our call need our assistance.

I've often had clients say "well, which do you suggest I take?" this after gaining their trust, that is the mark of a sales professional, you can't leave it up to them to decide because that's when they "need to think it over" or "want information."

There are simple and effective ways to build trust, over the phone or in person. I agree, be an expert, provide great service, build value and close, then you're good to go.

I will not deny it or say it is untrue. The fact is people do in fact hate sales people.
“I HATE sales people. Unfortunately, I have to deal with them to a certain extent, since I am technically a buyer. If sales people had their way, they would waste 4 or more hours of my work day, so I’ve had to resort to screening my phone calls. And, I have also made a house rule that if a sales person calls more than 3 times, they are cut off. I will no longer be placing orders with them. Period. The way I see it is that if you are offering a good product, it will sell itself. If I can use it, I will buy if from you. If you try and force your products down my throat, obviously the product sucks and I don’t want it.
Last time I went car shopping, the sales guy asked what I was looking for. I told him I was looking for a Jeep, but since they didn’t have one in the color I wanted he said, “How about we get you into a nice Ford Focus…” I rolled my eyes, turned around and walked off the lot without saying another word to that tool (Although I did want to say, “**** you and your crappy Ford Focus too!”). Am I missing something? What exactly does a Ford Focus and a Jeep Wrangler have in common?! Suggesting something so stupid and thinking that you could manipulate me into buying something I don’t want, is just an insult to my intelligence…” [FONT=&quot]Quote from I Hate Sales People | Endless Summer[/FONT]

Now if a customer comes into our agency looking for a Jeep Wrangler we are going to direct them to the nearest free mental health clinic (just kidding), but the above quote does show why generally most people hate salesmen. Now STOP and think about that. You work in sales and sales pay your bills but generally everyone hates sales people. They put their names in “Do Not Call Lists” they spend money on “NO SOLICATION” signs. They try to avoid us and it don’t matter how great our products are they don’t want anything to do with us.
Now using the above quote we have a customer who wants to buy but we don’t have their product available at his time. What would you do? Offer them something else like the agent did above? Here is what I would do.

GET DETAILS FROM THEM!

Is she dead set on that color? Would she be willing to look at some others colors we have available? Does she have a deadline when she must have this new car? Would she be willing to wait while we order her car in the color she requested?

Customers are not stupid and they know you work on commission, but do they care? no not really, should they?, no not really. Customers want it their way and why should they not get it their way. It’s their money and they have worked hard for it. We as agents need to work for our customers not for ourselves. Yes this deal is not going to get closed today. Yes there is a chance that this customer may not even close in the future, BUT did you take care of the customer by addressing their needs and doing your best to provide them a service that meets their needs. YES!
I challenge you to not be sales agents! People hate sales agents for several reasons but the number one reason is they just simply don’t trust them.

The answer is being a consultant for the customer.The key difference is that a consultant never makes decisions for the individual or group but rather helps the individual or group to make the decision they already want to make! Being a consultant is not to talk all day about your products and how great it is but to rather talk to the person and to learn about their situation, learn about their current contracts through health carriers, find out about their kids and conditions they may have. The more questions you have for them shows them that you care about their needs and their personal situation. This information can then be used to determine what products this customer would benefit most from. You can show how your product will change their life and situation. This will put some real value in your product and show the customer why they need this product. This will not only result in a sale but you will have gained respect from the customer that will lead to referrals and a lasting business relationship.

If all customers were alike..but they are'nt. This reminds me of an old adage, "Ccustomers don't like to be sold, but looove to buy!!!!! As long as I remembered that, I could find a way to cause a prospect to be a customer.

The same people that hate in insurance agents with proposals in hand , love insurance agents with checks in hand!

Last edited:
People hate salespeople who are disrespectful, don't listen, and never get a clue about how bad they really are. People have the mindset that "all you care about is a commission".

I'm finding that mindset quite prevalent among the orphan policies I call on. I explain that I'm here to answer questions, show what your hard earned money is paying for, determine if the coverage is still truly appropriate for them or not and to be a resource for them.

My true objective is to meet them and get their email address to put them on my email newsletter. I don't care whether they buy from me today or not. But if they get my newsletter over a period of time... they'll be "mine". They won't go to anyone else but me for their questions... because I would have demonstrated that I know what I'm doing and I keep in regular and consistent contact with them.

Excellent addition!

:yes:

If all customers were alike..but they are'nt. This reminds me of an old adage, "Ccustomers don't like to be sold, but looove to buy!!!!! As long as I remembered that, I could find a way to cause a prospect to be a customer.

GET DETAILS FROM THEM!

Ok. He didn't have the Jeep, so if he didn't offer something she didn't ask for the chance of a close is 0%. Since it did there is a really small chance, but a chance non the less. Its the same concept behind SPAM. Everyone hates it but its cheap and 1% of people who get the email will buy the product.

Point is, for car lots, its all about % chance to close. Its not like us who can build a huge referral network. Even if I was referred to a car salesman I would still only buy from him if he had the car I wanted at the right price. He has plenty of people just walking on and doesn't need me.

I'm not saying that I agree with stupid sales tactics, just that people are the reason that salesman are annoying, if they didn't buy when they pulled that crap, it would stop.

Back