Independent Agents Surveyed About Future

Brian Anderson

Executive Editor
100+ Post Club
Safeco recently surveyed independent agents – particularly on the P&C side – about how their roles and priorities are changing (article in link below). Part of it focuses on what agents polled see as a merging of roles between producers and CSRs. From the article:

Recognizing that independent agents often wear many hats, Safeco was curious about how the roles of CSRs and producers might be evolving. Those surveyed said that they see the responsibilities of producers and CSRs merging into an account executive or account manager role.

Some of the agents surveyed believe this may be in part because technology has taken on some of the mundane agency tasks, freeing both CSRs and producers. As one agent noted, “CSRs are more apt to quote and issue now, rather than just service. Automation has helped with that change.”

Agents reported that 37% of CSRs write a lot of new business and that 43% of producers provide a lot of service to their customers.

These blended roles can benefit customer service. One IA surveyed said it best, “I encourage my CSR to take the phone call from start to finish. The CSR needs to know how to sell multiple lines of business and be able to answer questions or find answers without passing the client from person to person within the agency.”

In addition, when CSRs are helping a customer, they are in a prime position to look for opportunities to cross-sell additional products and services.

Do you see a trend toward more “account executives”?

As far as how agents plan to grow their business in the next 5 years…

78% - increasing cross-sales
50% - new lead sources
50% - adding new producers
48% - new digital capabilities
38% - increase marketing investment
31% - new market segments

Insurance Forums | What it takes to be an

I recently have been reading a lot about AI and how it will affect so many industries within the next several years, the fact that many jobs might be put at stake. I am barely starting and trying to create a book of business for me in the life ins industry but I do believe we have to adapt. Adapt or die. This is somewhat nerve wrecking but at the same time I accept the challenge.
Even though technology will "optimize" this field I do firmly believe that people will still seek that personal touch that we provide for years to come.
So the best we can do is incorporate these new technologies into our arsenal and go with the flow, become more well rounded as agents and show our clients why that little extra is still worth it as opposed to simply inputting information online and getting a quote in return.
Comparing when I got started in the industry in 08 to now I can see this difference you are referring to in this study by safeco. I have seen the CSRs become more well rounded, to the point where they collect most of the info and build rapport and even make the sale, sometimes collect the info so that when the agent is needed he or she steps in with this info ready to close.
The better well rounded a CSR is, the better it is for the Agency. Knowledge is power.

Back