Interviewing to Be a Commercial Lines Producer - What Should I Ask?

cmsinsurance

I will be interviewing to do commercial lines for a local indy agency and I am not sure what questions I should be asking outside of production expectations and pay... Any suggestions would be VERY MUCH appreciated!

Ask what else they will provide you.. will there be any health benefits, leads, training, csr support?

Also find out what commercial markets they are competitive in.Commercial insurance can be very lucrative but will take longer to get the ball rolling then just regular home and auto insurance.

What equity do you have in the book? What's the buyout provision if you decide to leave? You don't want to spend years building a book only to have to leave it at that agency.
How many carriers do they represent?
Do they pay "as earned"? (most do)

While the above questions are very important to ask. I would be very careful as to the timing. Most of these are best asked after they "fall in love" with you. At that point you are asking (negotiating) from a place of strength.
I would probably ask some questions early in the process that focus on them. One good one was posed above (what markets are they competitive in) Others might be where would the like to focus or perhaps what are they looking for in a producer. Or another good one. What are YOUR goals?

Back