Morgan Stanley and Facebook

G

Sounds like someone is in trouble here.......

Regulators eye Morgan Stanley's pre-Facebook IPO actions - May. 22, 2012

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Regulators are looking into a report that Morgan Stanley, the lead underwriter for Facebook's initial public offering last week, shared a negative assessment of the social network with major clients ahead of the IPO.
Rick Ketchum, head of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, an independent regulatory body, acknowledged an article from Reuters saying that a Morgan Stanley analyst reduced his revenue projections for Facebook (FB) shortly before the offering and shared this with institutional investors.

The report has raised questions about whether certain investors received privileged information ahead of the offering that should have been disseminated more widely.
"If true, the allegations are a matter of regulatory concern to FINRA and the [Securities and Exchange Commission]," Ketchum said in a statement via a spokeswoman.
An SEC spokesman declined to comment, though Reuters reported that agency chairwoman Mary Schapiro told reporters Tuesday that there are "issues that we need to look at specifically with respect to Facebook."
In addition, the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth said it has issued a subpoena to Morgan Stanley (MS, Fortune 500) "in connection with the discussions by their analyst with certain institutional investors about the revenue prospects for Facebook prior to that company's initial public offering last week."
The news is the latest headache for Facebook and its underwriters following the company's debut on the Nasdaq Friday. Shares have since slumped 18% from the offering price of $38 amid criticisms that the company is overvalued.
Morgan Stanley's analyst reduced his revenue projection for Facebook shortly after the tech giant filed amended documents with the SEC saying that it could struggle to maintain revenue growth as users flock to mobile devices, Reuters said. It was not clear whether this revised projection was shared with all clients or only a select group.
In a statement, Morgan Stanley rejected any suggestion of impropriety, saying it followed "the same procedures for the Facebook offering that it follows for all IPOs."
In response to Facebook's amended SEC filing, "a significant number of research analysts ... reduced their earnings views to reflect their estimate of the impact of the new information," Morgan Stanley said. "These revised views were taken into account in the pricing of the IPO."
Facebook did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

I've been reading up on this to death. Seems that mid-IPO the underwriters were made aware that FB lowered their earnings forecast based on mobile devices.

This information was only shared with select institutional investors but not shared with the general public as is required by law.

What will happen? Likely, absolutely nothing.

I'd like to say that investing is becoming just like playing roulette in Vegas but that's no really accurate. It's becoming like playing roulette in Vegas where after you place your bet, the ball spins and the dealer has a foot peddle and magnet.

I think we might see some resignations from Morgan Stanley...Seems these Wall street firms just can't stay out of the headlines lately.

Not exactly.
Facebook did a required filing with the lower estimates. That was pretty well known.
An analyst at Morgan Stanley made some changes and this was apparently only told to some select people during the roadshow (prior to the IPO).

All of this occured (not the filing) during what should have been a quiet period.

In my view, this is the equivalent of insider trading. If this had happened with Joes Pizza and Software IPO, somebody would have gotten their hand slapped and not much more. In this case, I figure someone is going to jail. They just have to figure out which janitor was responsible first (i.e., the real culprits will blame someone else)

Dan

Back