State Farm Struggles

agentcm

Hello, I'm completely new to the site but enjoy reading the posts. I've been in the insurance business for over 8 years now and would appreciate feedback from others regarding my recent struggles with becoming a State Farm Agent. A few months back I started the process and had the "if you can't beat them, join them" mentality. After jumping through many hoops and pointless webinars, virtual reality tests, I made it to the final step of becoming an approved candidate. Thats when the trouble began!! After working tirelessly on a 25 page business plan they didn't approve it!! You are forced to use a hypothetical system to calculate income etc...... Apparently my numbers didn't add up. LOL This is funny because none of my numbers were real to start with!! Basically, they just want to see if your smart enough to put together a plan you will never use. Never mind I have made my living in the industry for the mentioned 8 plus years. I was told my background and experience meant nothing. I got mad, and decided to give them a plan that would blow they're minds to win them over!! Until, I read posts on this forum that potentially saved me!! I had zero chemistry with the person who would essentially manage my life for the next year and she would have had the ability to cut me off at any point, or give me a contract she/they didn't want to renew after my first year. I have decided to pursue other options, but was curious if anyone else has had a simliar experience recently? Most of the discussion I find on the matter is dated. Thanks to everyone in advance!! I guess I'm kind of bitter and would like someone to relate to. I decided if they wanted to interview me they would approve the plan!! Why recruit me so aggressively and then put me in front of a sales leader like that? Big waste of time.

Hi CM, what state are you working in?

I'm a Farmers agent here in Texas, but on the commercial side I'm an independent agent with appointments to 3 MGAs. Sorry to hear you've had trouble with SF. I interviewed with them 3 years ago when I was entering the industry, as well as every other major carrier we've all heard of.

I picked Farmers because of the training and support, plus the flexibility they gave me on the contract and the nuts and bolts of actually running my business. I've never been required to present a business plan to my DM (of course I have one).

I'm almost 3 years in now, and I'm very happy with Farmers. I have the brand recognition, incredible agency platform and a ton of inbound leads thanks to the fully integrated marketing system.

A lot of users here like to trash talk about captive companies, but that's pretty stupid in my experience. There are SO many more resources provided to you with a big national company.

Hello, I'm completely new to the site but enjoy reading the posts. I've been in the insurance business for over 8 years now and would appreciate feedback from others regarding my recent struggles with becoming a State Farm Agent. A few months back I started the process and had the "if you can't beat them, join them" mentality. After jumping through many hoops and pointless webinars, virtual reality tests, I made it to the final step of becoming an approved candidate. Thats when the trouble began!! After working tirelessly on a 25 page business plan they didn't approve it!! You are forced to use a hypothetical system to calculate income etc...... Apparently my numbers didn't add up. LOL This is funny because none of my numbers were real to start with!! Basically, they just want to see if your smart enough to put together a plan you will never use. Never mind I have made my living in the industry for the mentioned 8 plus years. I was told my background and experience meant nothing. I got mad, and decided to give them a plan that would blow they're minds to win them over!! Until, I read posts on this forum that potentially saved me!! I had zero chemistry with the person who would essentially manage my life for the next year and she would have had the ability to cut me off at any point, or give me a contract she/they didn't want to renew after my first year. I have decided to pursue other options, but was curious if anyone else has had a simliar experience recently? Most of the discussion I find on the matter is dated. Thanks to everyone in advance!! I guess I'm kind of bitter and would like someone to relate to. I decided if they wanted to interview me they would approve the plan!! Why recruit me so aggressively and then put me in front of a sales leader like that? Big waste of time.

Paragraphs please.

Hi CM, what state are you working in? I'm a Farmers agent here in Texas, but on the commercial side I'm an independent agent with appointments to 3 MGAs. Sorry to hear you've had trouble with SF. I interviewed with them 3 years ago when I was entering the industry, as well as every other major carrier we've all heard of. I picked Farmers because of the training and support, plus the flexibility they gave me on the contract and the nuts and bolts of actually running my business. I've never been required to present a business plan to my DM (of course I have one). I'm almost 3 years in now, and I'm very happy with Farmers. I have the brand recognition, incredible agency platform and a ton of inbound leads thanks to the fully integrated marketing system. A lot of users here like to trash talk about captive companies, but that's pretty stupid in my experience. There are SO many more resources provided to you with a big national company.

Trust me as a former Farmers agent who left on my own accord as one the the top agents in my district and state, there are many independent companies that will support you on the sales side and they actually will co op marketing and pay it 100%, not ask you to spend money on the Agency Growth incentives and have you spend money that is a waste just to be a AAA agent and not a D agent.

If Farmers is working for you that is great and I hope everyone on here is successful, but please understand that there is many options out there and captive fits some and IA fits others. Being on both sides I do not regret leaving Farmers for one moment and my folio and bonuses are pretty nice for only being gone 3 years. Captive companies can decide your future, wether you grow or not, I prefer to have more control on how my business is run and if I grow or not and not be told I need to have a "smart office" or not.

Again not attacking you or Farmers just my opinion

A lot of users here like to trash talk about captive companies, but that's pretty stupid in my experience.

So you have all of 3 years experience and only on the captive side, yet a person who "trash talks" captive companies is stupid? And how much experience do you have on the other side? Never mind, I believe you've already answered that.

So you have all of 3 years experience and only on the captive side, yet a person who "trash talks" captive companies is stupid? And how much experience do you have on the other side? Never mind, I believe you've already answered that.

And you've answered what kind of person you are by immediately being a condescending asshole.

I'm an independent broker on the commercial side. I represent about 70 carriers through those channels, and that part represents about 30% of our book.

Back