State Insurance Dropped Questions

epie72

So my son was dropped from State insurance 2 months ago apparently because I make too much money. My question is if I do sign him up through work or through the marketplace am I required to pay the retroactive amount for the 2 month gap that was created in coverage just to have insurance for him?

My sons mom thinks it is required but I find that really hard to believe. It is like buying a concert ticket today for a concert that happened a month and a half ago. How does that make any sense. Honestly I think she is just trying to hit her annual deductible by putting our son on her insurance because she has a bunch of medical bills she is trying to get out of. None the less she says I have to pay half and have to pay for the last 2 months he wasn't covered (which I assume is false and she would just use to pay bills or put towards her deductible amount) and then I have to pay half every month from here on out. Can somebody please explain to me if I am crazy or if I am being hustled. I feel like shes trying to hustle me.

I will respond directly below in RED.

So my son was dropped from State insurance 2 months ago apparently because I make too much money. My question is if I do sign him up through work or through the marketplace am I required to pay the retroactive amount for the 2 month gap that was created in coverage just to have insurance for him? No, you will not need to pay retroactive premiums unless the insurance becomes effective retroactively. More than likely, this will not occur and you will not be giving a choice to retro-date the policy. Your son has a 60 day window we call "special enrollment" due to a life changing event, in your case, his loss of coverage from the State plan.

My sons mom thinks it is required but I find that really hard to believe. It is like buying a concert ticket today for a concert that happened a month and a half ago. How does that make any sense. Honestly I think she is just trying to hit her annual deductible by putting our son on her insurance because she has a bunch of medical bills she is trying to get out of. None the less she says I have to pay half and have to pay for the last 2 months he wasn't covered (which I assume is false and she would just use to pay bills or put towards her deductible amount) and then I have to pay half every month from here on out. Can somebody please explain to me if I am crazy or if I am being hustled. I feel like shes trying to hustle me. I can confirm you're not crazy and this is some illegal activity that cannot happen for many reasons but I refuse to even entertain nonsense like this.

Well if you've waited 60 days before asking these questions, you've screwed the pooch pretty much. Right now you're looking at a 7/1 start which may kick it to 90 days past and nobody "has" to take him. You might have waited too long to get him enrolled and now have to wait until November.

Sounds like his mom is your ex. I don't envy you and the words you're going to have over this. Work might be able to put him on depending on if they will let you enroll him retroactively to the 1st of what ever month keeps you inside that 60 days. Better ask them now and not wait.. unless your goal is not to provide coverage for the kid. If you're responsible for his coverage, and anything happens, you may be toast. Better get on it.

Well if you've waited 60 days before asking these questions, you've screwed the pooch pretty much. Right now you're looking at a 7/1 start which may kick it to 90 days past and nobody "has" to take him. You might have waited too long to get him enrolled and now have to wait until November.

Sounds like his mom is your ex. I don't envy you and the words you're going to have over this. Work might be able to put him on depending on if they will let you enroll him retroactively to the 1st of what ever month keeps you inside that 60 days. Better ask them now and not wait.. unless your goal is not to provide coverage for the kid. If you're responsible for his coverage, and anything happens, you may be toast. Better get on it.

thank you for this, i clearly misunderstood that this person is his dad. in any case, most of everything is accurate except that part of being illegal to add him to his mom's policy.

Back