Step by Step Guide on Opening a P&C Agency

FLInsa

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
So is it just me noticing an influx of people not only on this forum but in other sites as well looking to get into the P&C business?

Requests for a "job in a box", a simple, easy to learn formula on how to open an agency and be successful. Or that "one" word that you can say to an insurance carrier and MAGIC - they give you that much sought after appointment.

You know.... it just doesn't exist. And that is why most of us in the P&C business, when we started, we started working for someone else. Myself for example, I started out as an assistant to a producer, then producer, then agency owner. And this was not an overnight process. It took time. Sure, there are some that took a different "road", but I think that most of the people you talk to in the P&C business today, they will say that one time or another, they too had to "punch in and out" everyday.

In the current marketplace, I wouldn't want to be a new "green" agent in the wide world of independent insurance sales. And let's not even discuss the behind the scenes business aspects of running your own agency such as agency management systems, leases, employees, comparative raters, producers, marketing, accounting, and other "hats" that an agency owner needs to wear.

I am not trying to squash anyone's dreams of owning a P&C agency, but it would be financial suicide to take your hard earned dollars and think that it would be an easy venture.

Because the days of getting one or two insurance carriers, signing up with a couple MGAs, hanging out a sign, placing an ad in the yellow pages, sponsoring the local girls cookie scouts, and living off referrals are hasta la vista, baby.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Ummm...you left out the step by step guide? How do I do it?...in a paragraph or less, please.

Seriously, great write up. But sometimes I wish I had read this forum before I jumped in this biz:err:

Back