What to Look For in and IMO

Didn't an IMO write that?

I do agree with a lot of what he wrote though.
I have a long list of things I would look for in a IMO or FMO.

These are in no certain order.

1. Must have a toll free phone number and answer the phone when I call them.
2. Offers great commissions and great products.
3. Knows their products and can help explain them to me.
4. Has a great website full of tools and things that will help me.
5. HAS GREAT TRAINING.
6. Has great Ideas, Prospecting Systems, can show me where to buy some leads if I want them, and can help me get started.
7. Must be willing to be on my side when the Ins Company does me wrong and take up for me.
8. Offers an Up Front Release if I ask for it, or when I want one.
9. Must answer all of my dumb questions.
10. I personal answer emails 15 hours a day. I had to through that one in.
11. An IMO that keeps their word and won't lie to me.
12. May sure the IMO does not pay you out of their own pocket. That you money comes direct from the INS company.
13. I want an IMO that sells insurance and know what it is like to be out in the field and deal with some of these clients.

I could keep going, but that is enough to start with.

Last edited:
Didn't an IMO write that?

I do agree with a lot of what he wrote though.

I would want an IMO that answers the phone, has a toll free phone number and has a great website and answers all of my dumb questions, offers some type of training. Has some kind of systems, ideas, or leads. I would want an IMO that is on my side and is willing to bend over backwards to help me. The IMO would have to give up front releases and not pay me out of his own pocket. I would want an imo that gives fair commissions to start with. I would also want an imo that sells the products they are trying to talk me into selling. I don't want an imo that has not sold a policy in 10 years.

I could not agree more with you Mark. Hence the reason for my laughter after reading that Ron wrote this............

I agree Mark, it is very easy for the IMO to start playing corporate world and forget what it's like to be in the field.

I've enjoyed reading the feedback in this thread.. Great article, good info.

I'm in the process of looking for a new IMO/FMO forming a small agency and have had issues resulting in my previous failures to realize i needed to look further into the items listed into this forum... Alas, i didn't.. but that is the past.

Anyhow, to the point (finally)..

I havent personally run into a problem where the IMO was paying me directly, but I'm certain you all gave a reason that they shouldn't. Why is this so bad? I want to make sure I understand before making yet another mistake.

Thanks so much for your patience.

Back