Why Florida?

John Pipkin

Why Florida? soon to be new agent looking for advice

I am 22 and currently studying to get my 2-20 and work as an independent agent, I live in Orlando Fl.

I have been reading many posts from this forum and have ran across a few different ones that say Florida is a difficult state to sell insurance in. I have no insurance experience, however I do have a decent sales background and I enjoy a challenge. But I am extremely curious to why it is harder to sell in Florida. Is it a simple fact that there are more agents selling so there is more competition. Or is there other factors at play, if so I would really appreciate someone outlining the obstacles one faces by selling in Florida.

I believe that in all difficult situations there are opportunities to find advantages, I would love to see the opinions of experienced independent agents in Florida, and what they have found that brings them success. Also ways that they set themselves apart. And any things to consider as a soon to be new agent.

(my goals in insurance is to get to a point where I am selling mostly commercial insurance. I know that will be very difficult, but I believe I can offer the most value as an agent working with business owners. Although I could be super "off the mark" with this goal due to my inexperience in the field, so any opinions on this would be very useful.)

Last edited:
As a spectator from cali the first thing that comes to mind for me is Hurricanes :/ 9 or 8 yrs ago I did a few campaigns in FL and it was not that bad until all those hurricanes.

Carriers pulled out of FL because of terrible losses. Will offer only limited coverages, Underwriting is strict and a newbee agent will not get direct access because of strict Underwriting rules. Its not so much the agent but position of the State itself being frequently hit with loss. This is what creates such a hard market for the agents IMO.

Re: Why Florida? soon to be new agent looking for advice

I am 22 and currently studying to get my 2-20 and work as an independent agent, I live in Orlando Fl.

I have been reading many posts from this forum and have ran across a few different ones that say Florida is a difficult state to sell insurance in. I have no insurance experience, however I do have a decent sales background and I enjoy a challenge. But I am extremely curious to why it is harder to sell in Florida. Is it a simple fact that there are more agents selling so there is more competition. Or is there other factors at play, if so I would really appreciate someone outlining the obstacles one faces by selling in Florida.

I believe that in all difficult situations there are opportunities to find advantages, I would love to see the opinions of experienced independent agents in Florida, and what they have found that brings them success. Also ways that they set themselves apart. And any things to consider as a soon to be new agent.

(my goals in insurance is to get to a point where I am selling mostly commercial insurance. I know that will be very difficult, but I believe I can offer the most value as an agent working with business owners. Although I could be super "off the mark" with this goal due to my inexperience in the field, so any opinions on this would be very useful.)

I'm from Missouri, so I can't speak from personal experience but I do know Florida is a No Fault state, meaning they pay out on Personal Injury if need be, regardless of whose at fault and for everybody involved. Pair this with a lot of high speed drivers in the busy cities, as well as a big population of retired people, you get a nasty little mix for actuaries to straighten out.

Bottom line is, Florida is just expensive when it comes to the property and casualty side of Insurance. They are top 10 most expensive with regards to auto insurance.

I could be way off but this is some of the things that I have read/heard about Florida that could possibly make it more difficult. With that being said, everyone needs insurance and everyone is going to be paying a lot. I don't know how that could negatively affect the selling process. If anything, it can make you more rich :yes:

Hello John,

I am a Florida independent agent for 10 years now and when agents say it is more difficult they are usually referring to getting appointments in Florida. To get appointed in Florida has become extremely difficult and nearly impossible the further south you go. There is a lot of competition in Florida for example in my little city there are over 300 insurance agents. The one specific issue with Orlando being so inland is that your premium size for a homeowners policy will average about $600 per year while the further south you go you will be averaging about $2700. PM me if you have any additional questions or if you are looking for a position as I have a couple of friends with agencies in your area. Good luck.

Back