Georgia, Prepare to Dive !

Re: Georgia- Ahhuuuga. Prepare to Dive

GA isn't the only state with tax shortfall. Like many states, we used Obamabucks to shore up and expand SCHIP and the same for education.

In my own neighborhood, we now have about a mile and a half of new sidewalk on either side of a narrow, winding 2 lane road. I use that road at least twice a day and have never seen anyone walking on either side. But I am sure the folks who built those sidewalks using Obamabucks were happy to have work for 6 months.

In addition to the hospital bed fee, they are also going to assess HMO's with an additional tax. Supposedly it is to level the playing field due to their not for profit status . . . wink, wink.

Grady Hospital, our county run charity hospital and Level 1 trauma center (they get all the gunshot wounds) has been cutting back on non-essential services. Many of the free clinics for the poor have been closed. Dialysis was supposed to close in January but they got some funds from a private benefactor to allow it to stay open until June.

At least the weather is nice. After two weeks of brutal cold and ice we are supposed to get up to the mid 50's today with sunny skies.

How is it Canada?

I don't think there is a state except maybe N Dakota that is above water right now...

The feds are going to have to bail out the states are we're going to have to stop paying all these government workers. I know which one I would choose.

I don't think there is a state except maybe N Dakota that is above water right now...

The feds are going to have to bail out the states are we're going to have to stop paying all these government workers. I know which one I would choose.

Feds are already bailing out the states. That's what all the stimulus money went to. All while unemployment went to 11%. Now the feds either have to continue stimulus or watch all the government jobs go off a cliff. This of course was 100% predictable. Now it is not the states fault these people are being laid off. It is the feds fault.

Whatever. Now Obama is crowing about another stimulus package because the first one was such a success. If the first one took us 11% when doing nothing would have taken us to 8%, why wouldnt we want to do another one to get to 15%. Nevermind.

Change you can believe in.

UHC is not competitive in GA and has not been for several years. Cigna was only willing to participate if they had a limited HMO network that could be used in HIX

Didn't want to start a new thread for casual announcements such as this, but it may be of interest to those of you who write health insurance in the state of Georgia:

7 Insurance Companies to Participate in Georgia Insurance Exchanges

June 4, 2013
Georgia media outlets are picking up on (plagiarizing) this story and adding some additional info. This article quotes a Georgia State University Professor (Bill Custer) who says that based on what he's seen, the average 2014 Exchange premium is about $456 per month.

7 insurers plan to participate in Georgia health exchange | Online Athens

So, if the median in $456 in a 3:1 banding, would the highest be $912 for a 64 year old and the lowest be $228 for a 21 year old?
-ac

Back